Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Winchester Forged and Indoor Ranges

I noticed that Winchester now makes a steel cased 9mm and was wondering. Anyone have issues at the ranges getting in with this ammo? I know the ranges flip their sheet when you showed up with Russian steel case is it now any different with American made? Just curious.

Regards

MGO Member
    You should have no worries. They are concerned with steel core i.e. copper covered steel bullet, not steel cased. That pistol ammo is an fmj or copper plated bullet.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I noticed that Winchester now makes a steel cased 9mm and was wondering. Anyone have issues at the ranges getting in with this ammo? I know the ranges flip their sheet when you showed up with Russian steel case is it now any different with American made? Just curious.

Regards
    The issue is if the projectile is steel core, which is what most Wolf and Tula ammo is and it messes up back stops. Check the projectile with a magnet. Might want to bring a magnet to the range if they are confused about that the real issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post

Regards
    Really depends on the range. The issue *should* only depend on the projectile from a range safety stand point but I've seen a couple ranges that flat out refuse any steel cased ammo (I suspect this is more due to the fact that they're gathering the brass to resell).

Winchester, Federal and some Wolf of the top of my head are making steel cased, "range safe" lead cored ammo in a couple of handgun calibers. Williams for one knows and recognizes these as not being steel cored and allows them on their range. I'm sure other ranges have seen them by now and realize they exist.
    Steel core is very noticeable on indoor ranges due to the excessive "sparking" on impact with the back stop. They are mostly banned due to the increased fire hazard they produce as the sparks have a habit of igniting unburnt powder in the trap areas. It is surprising the amount of powder that exits your muzzle unburnt when you touch off a round.
    Ranges also recycle or sell the brass they pick up and steel is not wanted by their buyers. Sorting brass/steel probably reduces or
    removes any profit they might see from the brass they do collect.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    You should have no worries. They are concerned with steel core i.e. copper covered steel bullet, not steel cased. That pistol ammo is an fmj or copper plated bullet.
    Not true. Many ranges are very much concerned with the steel jacket. They make sparks and easily ignite unburned powder powder that accumulates quickly in the lanes. If you have never experienced a range fire, believe me, they are quite spirited. The staff gets real busy in a hurry and that can make for an unsafe environment in itself.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    Not true. Many ranges are very much concerned with the steel jacket. They make sparks and easily ignite unburned powder powder that accumulates quickly in the lanes. If you have never experienced a range fire, believe me, they are quite spirited. The staff gets real busy in a hurry and that can make for an unsafe environment in itself.
    That's what he said. Ranges are concerned with steel jackets, not steel cases.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    One could presume that there are ranges that have concerns with either, or both, or none. You would have to ask the range. Their house, their rules.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    I’ve been to ranges on the east and west side who do not allow aluminum Blazer ammo, one can only assume they wouldn’t allow steel cased either because it interferes with their brass harvesting.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    I was responding to greasemonkey speaking of steel projectiles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast