Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Question concealed handgun suggestions for a frist timer

At the end of this year I will be 21 and I'm looking forward to being able to get my CPL. Now saying that i have been doing some research on some budget handguns for a first-timer. I am looking to not really go over 550 dollars for one. As I said did some research on them and still unsure what I should get. they all sound like they could be great handguns to carry. The only specifications that I have is that I am not a fan of Glocks. Now saying that I do acknowledge they are built very well they are just not the gun for me. The other one is that i prefer a 9MM or a .45 ACP. I am very open to hearing about other rounds that are recommend. Thanks for the comments and the answers, recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith1911 View Post
    At the end of this year I will be 21 and I'm looking forward to being able to get my CPL. Now saying that i have been doing some research on some budget handguns for a first-timer. I am looking to not really go over 550 dollars for one. As I said did some research on them and still unsure what I should get. they all sound like they could be great handguns to carry. The only specifications that I have is that I am not a fan of Glocks. Now saying that I do acknowledge they are built very well they are just not the gun for me. The other one is that i prefer a 9MM or a .45 ACP. I am very open to hearing about other rounds that are recommend. Thanks for the comments and the answers, recommendations.
    NOTE -- this all my opinion, think about what is important to you - you should not have to spend 500$+ either. Great Carry guns under 350$, some great ones under 225$ - caliber is my last consideration personally.

To me it doesn't matter too much - as I said above, it depends on what is important to you. The best EDC is one you are comfortable with and will carry every time. One tip - get a good stiff carry belt (I like my Hank's Belt) -- it will make any kind of belt carry (IWB,OWB,etc..) much better.

(this is my preference that follows - YMMV)

If that means (like me) it has to be small, comfortable, easily concealed under just about anything (or in a pocket) it's tough to beat an LCPII or something similar. Folks will tell you 380 is not sufficient - bs... the hottest hi capacity 9mm you don't carry is really of no use. I carry a LCP 380 custom in a kydex IWB .. hides under just about anything or in a front pocket holster in my jeans. And weights under 12oz loaded so my pants stay up and I never know it's there. My Taurus 709 Slim was ok, so was my PPS M2 -- but nothing fit me like the LCP.

(other choices)

Now if you don't mind a little bigger/heavier, there are tons of great 9mm sub compacts like Walther PPS M2, Shield(9mm,380,45acp), P365 (higher capacity), Glock 43, Glock 42(.380) etc.. All fine guns (don't forget to look at Taurus 709 Slim either - read some reviews before you dismiss it). IWB is pretty comfortable. I liked my Crossbreed MiniTuck IWB.

Next step up would be snubby revolver (small but heavier) in 38spl or 357mag/38sp. I have a Mika IWB (cheeseinwisconsi here on MGO) leather holster and my LCRx is almost as comfortable as my LCP, but it does ride my belt down sometimes if I am active - it's just heavier. Also face it, while a few less rounds, you can fire 5 from a snubby that is inside your coat pocket without a jam - not sure you can consider that a viable option for most semi-autos! That is one of the big advantages of a revolver. You can also pocket carry a snubby but for me I consider it prints a little to much for my tastes. My LCP in a front pocket does not.

Next up would be the compacts, Glock 19, M&P compact, Ruger SR9C, P320c & xc and the others that size. Can conceal fine, higher capacity, However for me I didn't find them all that great plus they are somewhat more expensive. However they are much more pleasant to shoot on the range and practice with your EDC is important. You can also always carry a full size pistol, lots of folks do. If you are happy with it, weight, concealable, etc.. - IE Glock 17, 1911, or even a 4" revolver. Heavy and can be carried, as I said some folks are quit comfortable with them. Personally I am not, and comfort goes back to the reason I said -- something you will carry every time.

Don't discount 32acp, 380acp, 38spl, etc.. vs the 9mm/45acp masses. The weapon you will always keep with you, it what is important. Not what cartridge it fires.

Well that is some food for thought and my opinion which is pretty much worth what you paid for it and probably in direct opposite of what others feel ...
    Last edited by Mkc451; 01-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.

I am a Forum User
    You really have to decide what action you want, what size/weight/material, capacity, manual safety or not. These decisions will narrow your search. Once you've narrowed them down, go to the range and rent the ones that fit the bill. Buy the one you shoot the best.

You mentioned Glock, or at least not liking them. Is that because of the grip angle, or the action?

Without knowing any of these answers, I'm just gonna throw out the M&P 2.0 compact. They make 2 barrel lengths for the compact, 4" and 3.6". Why the M&P? They're striker fired, so each trigger pull is the same (good for a new shooter), the 2.0 upgraded the trigger and grip, they offer manual safety versions if that's your thing, they're easy enough to find holsters and are in general good pistols. Shop around and you'll find a really good price for them (https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesso...-15-1-3-6.html), and have enough left over for a training class. The drawback of the M&P? To me, they're just kinda plain. There's no personality to them. But they're inanimate objects, so they're not supposed to have a soul.

My personal preference puts it something like:
    P320
    FNS/509
    M&P
    VP9
    PPQ
    You can get any of those new within your budget, but I think taking a class with it is very important, which is why I said the less expensive (not cheap) M&P. The really nice thing is there's not a very limited selection of quality pistols these days. There's a lot of good options. The biggest thing is to ignore anything anyone behind a gun counter says! Research for yourself and try before you buy if at all possible.

I prefer to carry a 9mm with 1 or more rounds of capacity. I know you don't want a glock, but I carry a 26 and two spare mags from my 17.
    Get yourself a good holster. My preferred is a Galco King Tuk. In the waistband.

Have fun choosing you new rig!

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Galc...er/1146559.uts

The gun to carry is the one you will actually shoot and carry. There are a huge number of great guns in your price range. I would recommend handling as many as you possibly can, and rent and shoot the ones you like. You will find the right gun and the right way to carry it. But it will probably take a few tries to get the right holster. I guarantee there are many boxes of holsters that guys here bought and didn't like.
    Do your research and you'll find the right gun. Or be like the rest of us, and buy a bunch of guns till you find a few you like.

Dice

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith1911 View Post
    What you will find is…no matter what you pick, it won't be your last!

I went though a number of small frame firearms, including a Glock 26.
    I tried a NAA Guardian, but HATED shooting it due to the long, stiff trigger pull. It was heavy and had a low capacity of .380.
    My FAVORITE "pocket" firearm is my Sig 232. Also heavy, also limited .380 capacity, but it shoots GREAT!

I traded my Glock 26 for a S&W M&P 9c. Trigger sucked, so I did some work on it, now it is nice.
    I missed my Glock 26, so I bought it back (by chance…I thought I was buying "another" G26, but it turned out to be the one I traded years prior!).

Once you get past the idea of having to conceal, there will be a world of options opened to you. I get it when situations dictate that you CANNOT be known to carry, but aside from those, casual carry in public does NOT have to be absolutely concealed. Open carry is legal, but some are simply not comfortable with being an open carrier. Casual concealing eludes 90%+ of the public (meaning "printing", or even partial visible carry is not readily noticed).

Years ago, I was standing in line at an ice cream shop. My conceal shirt had ridden up over my full size 1911, fully exposing it (before open carry was as accepted as it is today). There were people in line right behind me…you would think they HAD to see it…but, they never blinked an eye…I'm pretty sure they found the ice cream on the other side of the counter to be more interesting than whatever was on my belt!

Bottom line…there are MANY options available for compact conceal carry. Everyone will have their own opinions on what is best. But the truth is, only you can determine what you are most comfortable carrying…AND SHOOTING. Just don't sell yourself short with something ultra concealable, yet something that you will NOT be able to accurately shoot (even at close range) when/if needed.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Very difficult to give thorough advice via the forum. If you can, find someone who's been carrying for some time and talk to them. Live Q&A will spawn other questions and information you didn't even know to ask.

What will likely happen is you think you want gun A, but then after you get it and carry it for a while, one or more aspects of it will probably make you seek another option. This is how it went for me.

Size and weight will play a big part in your comfort, as will the degree of concealment. Some people are very concerned about ultra concealment and never printing. Others don't care.

Ultimately, this is a very personal decision that often takes a few different experiences with a few different guns and holsters. Be open minded and don't be afraid to try different options.

All that being said, my longstanding recommendation for anyone's very first carry pistol is an H&K USP 9c. These can be found used sometimes for around $600. That's just my opinion.

I am a Forum User
    Glock

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Glock
    Dude, is it really hard to read more than the thread title? He clearly says:
    "The only specifications that I have is that I am not a fan of Glocks."

Rental gun and the ranges with a large selection of them are your friends.

I would not jump into buying a 1st gun on a forum board recommendation without at least having some experience with a few other guns to help recognize the small things that may not be right for you. Not that you will be steered wrong, but simply due to the amount of excellent choices that have just that little something you do or don't find to be to your liking. Read the offerings here, make a list of what interests you then find a range that has them to rent and go shoot them to make your choice.

Do you prefer thin or a thicker grip?
    Are long trigger pulls a plus or minus?
    What type of sights do you prefer?
    Is a larger capacity mag something you want, or can you get by with a smaller 8-10rd mag.
    Does a 45acp have enough more recoil then a 9mm to make a difference in how well you shoot it?
    Are you a striker or hammer fire fan?
    Ect, ect. ect.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast