Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You have plenty of time to decide if you're waiting for the end of the year. Take advantage of the offers members like Devil Dog have made, and join them at the range. Attend some of the MGO fun shoots, lot's of members will be present, and most are very willing to let you try their guns. Don't overlook a used gun, either. You will probably have a larger selection of choices that fit your budget (plus additional mags and other gear), thus leaving you with a few extra bucks for training ammo. Which will lead you into reloading, so you can shoot more - but that's a whole other thread for later.

Personally, I like my classic SIGs for carry, my P229 (in both 9mm and .40 S&W), along with my P220 and P225 (yeah, I know, the latter two are single stack, but I just love how they shoot). You might also like a compact CZ (e.g. the 75 Compact, or P01).

As others have posted, along with your carry gun, you will need a solid belt and holster. And, training - lots of training. MDFI is one of the go-to trainers here on MGO, but there are others. If you go the MDFI route, I suggest you start with the You Suck, It's Not the Gun class. Many advanced/experienced shooters here have attended the class, and have learned a lot. I've attended a couple of times, and have learned something new each time.

Enjoy your journey, and keep us informed.

As an FYI, the February edition of NRA's "Shooting Illustrated" has brief reviews on 20 handguns under $300. I did not see this article on the Shooting Illustrated website, though.

Picking what gun you like and shoot well is relatively easy. 550 is more than enough for something nice.

most importantly, decide to carry everyday, everywhere legally possible.

the only thing that will make carrying second nature is a solid year or two of consistent, everyday carry.

get used to carrying at home, in the car, on walks, while sitting, while eating, etc..

I am a Forum User
    Ruger EC9 just a bit bigger than the ruger lcp 380 17OZ unloaded, carrys like a dream, I use a manual safety with a draw clip holster works for me. if you look for sales like Brownells has 200 free ship plus your ffl free. Probably the best priced 9mm around then some of the plastic cheap garbage 9mm out there for a little less, its based on the more expensive lc9s pro LEO's use. Your free to PM me if you need more information, I do have extra stuff for that gun if you are interested in going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    As an FYI, the February edition of NRA's "Shooting Illustrated" has brief reviews on 20 handguns under $300. I did not see this article on the Shooting Illustrated website, though.
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...uns-under-300/

Nice find. I obviously didn't search hard enough. The article you cited, though, is from last summer; the article I referenced has a slightly different list. Still, an excellent starting place.

I am a Forum User
    9mm

I had ".45 syndrome" when I started carrying. Now my .45s are range toys. 9mm is cheap, can be found anywhere and ballistics have come so far id prefer 9x19 over almost anything else for a duty or carry gun for everyone. If you want something special, you find it after some experience and more money. I mostly pocket carry a revolver now and thats my preference. Revolvers arent for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Nice find. I obviously didn't search hard enough. The article you cited, though, is from last summer; the article I referenced has a slightly different list. Still, an excellent starting place.
    Yep I noticed that, thinking maybe you meant last Feburary -- nothing in my collections of ShootingIllustrated Unloaded either -- I checked back 3 months.. They must have pulled the article.

MGO Member
    S&W M&P Shield or Ruger LC9s/EC9s is all you really need. Or if you want a double stack a Keltec P11 is an inexpensive alternative.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Right on Garymac . I PMed tsmith on his original post about that exact thing. Have been carrying Shield for Three years every day. 1200 rounds worry-free . 9mm is the most cost efficient to shoot. Hope he goes that route. Eric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast