Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Barrel length doesn't matter (within reason). The spin on the bullet is put on the bullet by the twist rate not the barrel length.

If the barrel is a 1:7 twist & 7" long the bullet will still twist 2 turns at 14" of travel (or very very close to that anyhow). Now the bullet spin does degrade as it travels down range due to air friction but it exits a 7" barrel spinning at the same spin rate as it would exit a 14" barrel or a 32" barrel (assuming the same barrel twist of 1:7 for all barrels).

Using your above barrel length suggestion what is the bullet spin of a S&W revolver with a 1:18.75 twist with a 2" barrel? _____ Your thought would have the bullet not even spinning one complete revolution. How could that bullet stabilize if it isn't spinning?

But the bullet IS spinning because it has a 1 turn in 18.75" of travel put on it at barrel exit. So even though the barrel is only 2"long it has placed a spin on the bullet of 1 turn in 18.75" of travel but it is long out of the barrel before it reaches that 18.75" of travel.

A bullet spins longer inside the barrel with a longer barrel but it doesn't spin any faster in a longer barrel of equal twist rate.
    OK, I got it now. Thanks for the elaborate explanation. Greatly Appreciated.

The 10/22 stub is around .684". Since we're in the "do it yourself gunsmithing" section, I'd turn down the barrel about where the barrel extension pictured ends and thread it. Make a barrel "extension" leaving enough barrel sticking out to add your M261 barrel insert/collar. Slot the collar for the rail and drill it for a retainer pin and it should work. Depending on what the M261 kits are going for these days it may just be cheaper/easier to get a CMMG unit and sell the M261.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a Forum User
    Compass lake engineering makes AR uppers with the M261 Kit. You may be able to buy a barrel right from them.

If you go CMMG get a hold of John Scandale @ Keystone Accuracy. He makes barrels for the CMMG setup where the chamber portion is removed and his barrels incorporate the chamber. Match quality. Had one for a few years and it was a hammer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12