Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4097 of 2019 - Allow Retired LEO to Carry Concealed in No-Concealed Carry Zones

HB 4097 of 2019
    Weapons; concealed; carrying of concealed weapons by retired law enforcement officers in no-carry zones; allow. Amends secs. 1, 5b & 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.).
    Last Action: 1/30/2019 bill electronically reproduced 01/29/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    LEOSA creds aren't good enough?

Just another carve out for another special group.

Except this time they require yearly re-qualification (at their expense) and another piece of photo ID, in addition to the CPL and DL. Not that they would ever be charged for failure.

And there is no point in giving my RINO Representative my thoughts on this, he co-sponsored.

It is also odd, the committee they assigned this to, Military, Veterans and Homeland Security.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I actually don't see this as a carve out at all. In fact, most of the special categories could be deleted by the addition of those qualified under 926C. I see this bill as bringing the state definition of qualified retired law enforcement officer in line with the federal definition to avoid confusion.

As for why it was assigned to that specific subcommittee, it may be because 926B and 926C also includes military police in the federal definition of qualified law enforcement officer and has since around 2012

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    Actually, they are not good enough. I went in circles for 2 years with Oakland County about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Purebass04 View Post
    I actually don't see this as a carve out at all. In fact, most of the special categories could be deleted by the addition of those qualified under 926C. I see this bill as bringing the state definition of qualified retired law enforcement officer in line with the federal definition to avoid confusion.

As for why it was assigned to that specific subcommittee, it may be because 926B and 926C also includes military police in the federal definition of qualified law enforcement officer and has since around 2012
    One of the things that is right at the front of the 926? laws is a statement that there is no intent and that those laws don't circumvent State laws. In State law, they ARE prohibited, hence they have to carve out another exception in State law.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Purebass04 View Post
    Actually, they are not good enough. I went in circles for 2 years with Oakland County about this...
    Actually they are good enough. The problem is Oakland County and MCOLES are incapable of reading.

Concealed pistol free zones only apply to people carrying under the authority of a concealed pistol license. They do not apply to anybody else.

Even if they did, they are all with two exceptions, preempted by federal law.

The logic that MCOLES uses is beyond laughable, and they should be embarrassed because nicely put, they are really that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    They are. MCOLES just makes crap up and agencies in the state can’t think for themselves so they repeat the same stuff. Even the MSP has told MCOLES they are wrong.

Why is this for LEO's only? What about Gemini's and Capricorns?

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4097 of 2019
    Weapons; concealed; carrying of concealed weapons by retired law enforcement officers in no-carry zones; allow. Amends secs. 1, 5b & 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.).
    Last Action: 2/3/2020 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...7-85DD3BB5.pdf
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.