Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

SE MI and Northern OH 3 gun matches questions.

Hi everybody.

Trying to convert hobby into sport and very interested in doing local 3 gun matches. Anything within 3 hours of driving of Rochester, MI area is good.

I was just wondering what kind of optic should I run on my rifle. Do we have any matches in 3 hour range that require LPVO 1-6 optic or red dot will be totally fine?

Thank you!

I am a Forum User
    If you have good eyes a red dot should be ok. Most multi-gun matches around here have max distances of 100 yards as far as I know.

Blue Water Sportsman Association has a very active 3 gun league with around a half dozen or so matches during the summer. Great group so guys (if I don't say so myself, I shoot 3 gun there) who are friendly and always ready to help. All sort of skill level and gear, from newbie to semi-pro. Everyone has fun and most people are there just to have fun and do the best they can.

With that being said, the matches do run on the longer side compared to some with a higher round count, but the stages are fun and you will definitely get some shooting in. Info in on the website and
    facebook.

From Facebook:
    2019 Macth Dates:
    Feb 9-polar shoot, April 13, May 18, June 15, July 13, July 27, Sept 21, Oct 19, night shoot to be announced at later time.
    Round Count:
    100 Bird
    10 Buck
    5 Slugs
    100 Rifle
    150 Pistol

As for an AR optic, for 99% of the stages a plain old red dot will do quite fine. Used to run one myself with no issue. The only gotcha for Blue Water is that for most of the matches there will be a stage (there are normally 5) were we will take some shots at steal on the 200 yard range. As long as you know your hold (aka aim high), you should be fine. Most people have a problem with seeing the steel good enough that far away. That is why I personally switch over to a low variable powered optic (1-4x, 1-6x). Or you can have a magnifier for the red dot (I did that before I had to send the EOTech back for recall). And some people just go with it and hope for the best. I would say it would be better to get started in it and learn as you go. If you miss a few targets on a single stage you will still be better off than guys that miss most of the targets on most of the stages.

Skills trump equipment, good equipment trumps lots of equipment, knowing you equipment trumps having the coolest, newest equipment, and there is a lot of equipment you can spend a lot of $$ on.
    Last edited by happy_gunner; 02-04-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    happy_gunner
    Proud Veteran & American
    In God We Trust

ACTS puts on a great match

I am a Forum User
    LCSA (Livingston Conservation & Sportsmen Association) and LGC (Livingston Gun Club) both put on monthly three gun matches. Both aren't terribly far from RH, just take 59 west and head down old US 23 a bit. If you're on Facebook they post the dates there.

Not sure on LGC, but LCSA has the following dates:
    March 23
    April 27
    May 25
    June 22
    July 27
    August 24
    September 28
    October 26

Caro Brass 3 Gun "Feb 16,2019" page liked

IT'S BACK!
    ARCTIC BLAST 2019!
    February 16, 2019

There will be five courses of fire.
    Sign in begins at 10:00 a.m. down at the trailer.
    Safety Meeting starts at 10:30 a.m.
    Shooting starts at 11:00 a.m.

Round count is approximately 125 rds. pistol, 125 rds. rifle (no armor piercing, "green tip," or steel-core), 50 rds. birdshot (#7.5 or 8 shot). It never hurts to bring extra.

General match, with the following divisions:
    Factory, Practical, Open, Heavy, PCC, Handgun, 2 Gun, 2x4
    Price: $25

As a few have said, there are quite a few local 3 Gun matches within Rochester.
    I help out with the BWSA group,
    My advice as a seasoned 3 gun shooter.
    I love my TA 31 Acog, fixed 4 power piece of awesomeness, Pricey, YES! buy once cry once!
    My other favorite is the Leupold 1-4 power fire dot, a little more versatility,
    Trijicon makes a 1-4 power 3 gun scope, and made in Michigan.
    Did I mention "Buy once cry once" ? spend the money on the clearest optics you can afford. And a top quality mount to hold your baby in place.

I see quite a few red dot with the 4 power add on optic, nothing wrong with this setup, you just need to practice with it.
    a stand alone red dot will get you by, but we shoot out to 200 yds on occasion, again if you practice you will be ok, most people end up missing!

Bob M