Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Good used 22 LR rifle

I'm looking for a good used starter 22 for a friend to learn on. He doesn't have much of a budget due to having a young family. My tastes tend to run a little bit over his budget, and some of the older older classic I like typically aren't real bargains either. I'm looking for some recommendations on what to look for. I'm sure there's some good models of Savage, Mossberg, Remington and others. I'm thinking of repeater in a bolt action or semi. My first thought was to maybe find a Ruger American or a plain Jane 10/22. Anyway, I would welcome some recommendations for some known to be trouble-free options with decent triggers and accuracy.

I am a Forum User
    Used Marlin 60 semi autos can be found for low cost. The Ruger 10/22 is a safe bet but a bit higher in price.

I am a Forum User
    You omitted the most important part of the information...

What's the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    I'm looking for a good used starter 22 for a friend to learn on. He doesn't have much of a budget due to having a young family. My tastes tend to run a little bit over his budget, and some of the older older classic I like typically aren't real bargains either. I'm looking for some recommendations on what to look for. I'm sure there's some good models of Savage, Mossberg, Remington and others. I'm thinking of repeater in a bolt action or semi. My first thought was to maybe find a Ruger American or a plain Jane 10/22. Anyway, I would welcome some recommendations for some known to be trouble-free options with decent triggers and accuracy.
    Remington Speedmaster -- if he wants a semi-auto, Remington Scoremaster if he wants a bolt. One of the east-European trainers for a bit more money. A Norinco JW-15 for a bit more cash (around 250$) ... Glenfield Model 60, Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc... all sold good items that were rebranded major names. If we had budget we could offer more. Not trying to sell you outright, but I have a couple in various budget ranges if he's interested, plus I am in Kalamazoo (Richland) ... PM me if you wish. I could even arrange to shoot a couple of different ones if needed. Same if you want a 22lr pistol have a couple of those too.

I am a Forum User
    The Romanian M69 trainers are great bolt guns. Super accurate and still prey reasonably priced. They pop up here from time to time. Henrys are also a solid bet.

Ruger 10/22. Cheap, plentiful, reliable, and decent accuracy. When he gets bored, he can Lego it to his heart's content.

I favor marlins like 60, 70p, 25, 81.

Others easily found new and used tecently made or 20 years older or more ...cheap bolt 25, 795 auto, 60 semi auto tube mag.

Savage is arguably most accurate off the shelf of the cheaper 22s.

You can pretty realistic get many blued marlins, wood stocks used for $125.

I personally do not like the molded plastic stocks on so many cheaper guns, much better to pony up an extra $20-30 bucks step up to real wood.

I am a Forum User
    Budget under $200. Preferably closer to $100 without any accessories or ammo.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

sounds like a 795 to me in that price range. You can catch them on sale for maybe $150ish. sometimes there's a rebate too.
    should come with a little 10rd magazine and a very cheap 4x scope that still gets the job done.
    I used mine as a first-shots kind of rifle for a few people who were small/recoil sensitive. at 50 yards with cheap ammo. It was more than good enough for a beginning shooter.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Under $200 closer to $100 eliminates a lot of guns. You pay very near that ($200) for a used 10-22 anymore in good shape. You don't want someone else's junk that will give your friend trouble every time it is taken out, so I would stay with a bolt action or, if you find one priced right the mentioned 10-22. Stay away from the old pumps, levers and cheaper semiautos. Raise your price to a honest $200 and a lot of doors open.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast