Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    Ended up with the 795 for $139 Dunham's. Now I just need a little weather break to get out to the range for some testing, sighting in and training. We'll see how that little scope works out oh, but I'll have a better option ready to go also. Thanks for the recommendations. I did find a pretty nice 60 but magazine-fed slot more convenient for varmint control when you want to quickly load and easily unload. Who knows, maybe someday we'll do an apple seed.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    I'm looking for a good used starter 22 for a friend to learn on. He doesn't have much of a budget due to having a young family. My tastes tend to run a little bit over his budget, and some of the older older classic I like typically aren't real bargains either. I'm looking for some recommendations on what to look for. I'm sure there's some good models of Savage, Mossberg, Remington and others. I'm thinking of repeater in a bolt action or semi. My first thought was to maybe find a Ruger American or a plain Jane 10/22. Anyway, I would welcome some recommendations for some known to be trouble-free options with decent triggers and accuracy.
    I have my Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 from 1980. Marlin introduced the Micro-Groove barrel after mine was built. It's a solid performer.
    In all these 38 years, it has never been cleaned and oiled. Something I started on this morning. The firing assy needs a major cleaning and has never failed. The gun is accurate as all get out.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    I have my Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 from 1980. Marlin introduced the Micro-Groove barrel after mine was built. It's a solid performer.
    In all these 38 years, it has never been cleaned and oiled. Something I started on this morning. The firing assy needs a major cleaning and has never failed. The gun is accurate as all get out.
    Not a Marlin history nut, but I believe the M60 came with a Micro-groove bbl right from the start (in the late 50's/early 60's?). It was a take off of the old "Ballard" style rifling used in turn of the century target barrels.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

1980s rimfire is definitely microgroove.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrema312 View Post
    Ended up with the 795 for $139 Dunham's. Now I just need a little weather break to get out to the range for some testing, sighting in and training. We'll see how that little scope works out oh, but I'll have a better option ready to go also. Thanks for the recommendations. I did find a pretty nice 60 but magazine-fed slot more convenient for varmint control when you want to quickly load and easily unload. Who knows, maybe someday we'll do an apple seed.
    Owning two of them, have your better option ready to go as your 1st option. Those included scopes are something you'd find in the bottom of a cereal box as a prize... If they still do that these days.

But... It's a great gun as it is. You're going to enjoy it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Not a Marlin history nut, but I believe the M60 came with a Micro-groove bbl right from the start (in the late 50's/early 60's?). It was a take off of the old "Ballard" style rifling used in turn of the century target barrels.
    Can you explain to me how the ' microgroove ' rifling is a " take off " of the Ballard rifling. I'm kind of unclear on this

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    Can you explain to me how the ' microgroove ' rifling is a " take off " of the Ballard rifling. I'm kind of unclear on this

Regards
    from wiki which is actually a great gun resource when you know their formatting and layout.

"Marlin uses their proprietary Micro-Groove rifling in the Model 60. The twist rate is 1:16 inches, right-hand. Micro-Groove rifling uses 16 small lands and grooves rather than 4, 6 or 8 deeper grooves used in most rifles. This increases the accuracy of the rifle by lessening deformation of fired bullets traveling down the barrel. Although the Model 60 is one of the least expensive .22 semi-automatic rifles sold, it has the reputation of being one of the most accurate rifles out of the box, with no modifications necessary."

from the first link i posted.

Here is microgrove. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin...Groove_Rifling

In 1953 Marlin Firearms was issued U.S. Patent 3,100,358 for what was named MicroGroove Rifling, which was a departure from the standard "Ballard," or cut rifling. One purpose of Microgroove rifling was to increase the speed of producing rifle barrels. Microgroove rifling is described in the patent as having 5 grooves for every 1/10 of an inch bore diameter, and that the driving side of each land would be "tangentially disposed" to prevent accumulating fouling in use.

Marlin introduced Microgroove rifling in their .22 rimfire barrels in July 1953, with 16 grooves that were .014" wide, and nominally .0015" deep. Ballard rifled barrels have grooves generally in the range of .069-.090" wide, and .0015-.003" deep. This change was marketed in the 1954 Marlin catalog, as having numerous advantages that this new form of rifling had, including better accuracy, ease of cleaning, elimination of gas leakage, higher velocities and lower chamber pressures. The catalog also claimed that Microgroove rifling did not distort the bullet jacket as deeply as Ballard rifling hence improving accuracy with jacketed bullets at standard velocity.

Designed for factory loaded ammunition, Microgroove barrels have a reputation for accuracy problems with centerfire ammunition handloaded with cast lead bullets due to the increased bore diameter generated by the shallow grooves. The use of oversized cast bullets greatly solves this problem, restoring accuracy with cast bullet handloads to levels seen from Ballard rifled barrels.[6] Early Marlin .30-30 microgroove barrels had a twist rate of 1 turn in 10 inches optimized for factory ammunition with jacketed bullets; later Marlin .30-30 microgroove barrels show a twist rate of 1 turn in 10.5 inches which improves accuracy with cartridges loaded to lower velocity than standard.

I had 2 Mdl 60's and now I have one plus I still have an original wood-stocked blued take down Papoose. ( I sold one of the 60's w./synthetic stock - my other older one has original wood)

The mdl 60's, esp older ones, were more accurate than most other 22's right out of the box and some were unbelievably accurate. My current older M60 will shoot 25 yd groups that few would believe if I told them w/ cheap Blazer AND CCI std vel. The Papoose for all its small size and 'take apart' feature is nearly as accurate after I 'bedded' it with a few layers of duct tape and both are true' keepers.'

The new 'Remlins' esp the Papoose models, are IMO mere Marlin copies overall as I had a brand new 60 stainless with the fancy HI-Viz sights and sold it before I even shot it after talking to a friend who had the same rifle and was sorry he bought it

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Ok. From what I've seen, the barrel should be stamped "Micro Groove". Mine isn't. They must have started stamping after 1980. Or, mine is a rare gun worth a bunch of money.

Myk
    Last edited by AxlMyk; 03-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123