Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

AR-15 Pivot Pins loose

Front pivot of upper and lower receivers loose ... like to tighten it . Current pin dia. is .246 " dia. in a .255" dia. receiver holes. Mfr. of AR says in spec. and to expect some wobble / looseness. I disagreed and told them pins to small , which resulted in discussion of pin being small side of spec. and hole at large end of spec.

Need/want an oversize or true .250" Diameter push pin. Found .250" dia. pin by DPMS listed at Midway USA , feedback on site from person who bought one says measures .248" Dia. he wasn't happy. That wouldn't help much . I tried .250" dia. drill bit shank that measured .249 " dia. and was much better. Saw some other types on You tube , one that kind of expands.

Anyone else have this problem and resolve it. I did install a accu wedge at the rear pin which has similar loose fit. That helped but would like to find true .250" dia. pins. Thx

I am a Forum User
    Give Armalite a call. A few years back I bought some .250" & even a few .251" from them due to the very same problem that you are seeing. (the stock slop doesn't effect the shot but I still don't like it)

I don't see them listed at Armalite any longer but they might have some laying around yet, or possibly give you a lead on who might have some.

If you aren't picky about the standard AR look then look at some aftermarket (push button with ball) pins as some of those seem to run to a true .2495"-.250".

Long ago I made a few of my own oversized but what a tedious long winded job for a couple of basic oversized pins (probably the reason not many make & offer them for sale)

MGO Member
    Go visit pointe and trap tactical in SCS and take a look at some of the pivot pins they have in stock.

I used Aero pivot pins and they are super tight, might be worth a try too

https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2859

This is where I purchase my oversized pins.

I also have a couple of Aero tension set screws if needed.

I HATE HAVING THE WOBBLES.
    Last edited by JohnJak; 02-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    Thx for fast response , JohnJax reference product had oversize (.257 -.258 ") pins. Don' t what to try grinding or filing a SS pin, probably hack it up.
    After more research my front pin is under size by .002 " rear at milt spec . (.248"). Front hole size is .255" as close as I can gauge it. I am going to try a few local places that I can mike the pins myself . Also am calling a few gunsmith to see if they can check. Had an accu wedge and installed that which helped.
    Thanks for the help...

They have .250 pins if you looked.

https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/...ry/374/409/899
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    While you are waiting to find the perfect sized pin you can simply put a small diameter (tight fitting) "O" ring around the front upper lug (use a smaller i.d. "O" ring then stretch it tight around the lug).

Once you close the upper on the lower the slop will be gone due to the squished "O" ring taking up the excess space.

The "O" ring works pretty good but unless you relieve the sharp edges the "O" rings won't last through more than a couple of opening & closings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    While you are waiting to find the perfect sized pin you can simply put a small diameter (tight fitting) "O" ring around the front upper lug (use a smaller i.d. "O" ring then stretch it tight around the lug).

Once you close the upper on the lower the slop will be gone due to the squished "O" ring taking up the excess space.

The "O" ring works pretty good but unless you relieve the sharp edges the "O" rings won't last through more than a couple of opening & closings.
    O Rings don't have any sharp edges??? they are smooth round rubber, Silly.

I am a Forum User
    What brand lower, upper and parts kit?

MGO Member
    Mil spec pins (.248”) are for .250 holes if I have correct info.
    Rifle is Freedom Ordanance FX-9 9mm. Glock mag.
    Runs great no malfunctions, fun to shoot.
    Discussion with them , I say front pin under size and holes in receivers oversized, they said was all AR style rifles are loose. Does not matter, doesn’t hurt accuracy!!! That’s the way they make them.

I guess if you are standing and blasting at full size target at 25 yards or less that’s OK.
    I expect to zero scope at 25 yards on bench and get one ragged hole. I was getting that with some flyers and though scope had loosen, found very wobbly fit.
    I will try to get a larger front pin. For now accu wedge and small piece of plastic tape on each side of lower near front pin took care of wobble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast