Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by due51 View Post
    Actually, this one has a hole on the back of the handle to capture the spring. I tried muscling the hammer into position before realizing what that hole was for. (I didn't see these replies until after I figured it out). I was able to fit a wee allen wrench into the hole, which allowed me to replace the hammer without having to remove the mainspring and plunger.
    Your H-D is the relatively uncommon match model and probably fairly late production. My match model H-D was first registered in Michigan by a member of the all powerful DPD pistol team in 1947. The match models got a lot of hand work at the factory in this era and were sold for a big premium. They came from the factory with an NRA competition legal 3 pound pull, but the triggers broke like a glass rod. My U.S. Property marked H-D is a much rougher proposition. Think it was made well into WW II as it has the Parkerized finish. Neither has the hole for a mainspring capture rod. My Space Gun does have this hole.

I have never seen an H-D with a cracked slide, but match shooters always had a good selection of recoil springs on hand to get the pistols to function reliably with whatever ammunition they were issued. Match organizers issued common lot cartridges to all shooters participating in events, in those days. My match model came with a half dozen recoil springs in little manila envelopes marked with different brands of ammunition. The different springs were wound from two different wire diameters and vary by length. I only shot this pistol a couple of times, years before I bought it from the owner's estate. We were comparing it to my Ruger and my (then) brand new Walther GSP. It was a very creditable performer.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and resources. Very much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12