Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EAR PROTECTION

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Ordered the Optime 105 for $23 from ebay. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm sure these will be good to go.
    I'd be interested in your review of these after you've used them. I need something better than the Howard Leight Impact Sport I've been wearing. They don't muffle sound very well. Come to find out, their noise reduction rating is only 22.

Edited to add: I was reading up on these at the 3M website. I noticed this in the details:

*The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) may overestimate the hearing protection provided during typical use. 3M recommends reducing the NRR by 50% for estimating the amount of noise reduction provided.
    Last edited by SMLE; 02-12-2019 at 07:22 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SMLE View Post
    I'd be interested in your review of these after you've used them. I need something better than the Howard Leight Impact Sport I've been wearing. They don't muffle sound very well. Come to find out, their noise reduction rating is only 22.

Edited to add: I was reading up on these at the 3M website. I noticed this in the details:
    Intead of buying a new set of muff, I would get a pair of the noise fighter gel cups. They not only reduce noise but also make the muffs way more comfortable. After I got them I was able to wear them for 8 hours straight at a major match and never even noticed them

Got the muffs yesterday. They seem to work pretty good. Hope to get to the range with them next week. They don't fold up as flat as my other pair. So for that reason, they will still be my EXTRA pair.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

On a similar note, I'm looking for a new pair for the range. What is everyone using?
    "We the unwilling, lead by the unqualified, have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little that we now feel confident attempting the impossible with nothing."
    -- Unknown

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Got the muffs yesterday. They seem to work pretty good. Hope to get to the range with them next week. They don't fold up as flat as my other pair. So for that reason, they will still be my EXTRA pair.
    I thought these were for cabin guests per your first post

Haven't decided what will be going to the cabin. I want to try these out tomorrow & then I will decide. The pair I use here, ( Not even sure what brand they are), are ok, but I want to try the 3M's. May end up buying another pair to use in my shop. I have a pair of those $4 Harbor Freight one's out there now.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I had big ones i lost they were airport ones the guys used on runways, had them since the 90s, kinda uncomfortable. Last 3-4 years I used peltor, shotgunner and the ones a bit thicker than shotgunner.

They say the best for high frequency put in foam or rubber in, the the cup muffs on top.

I have the tiny in ear rubber ones with the red plug you can pull out to hear better, blanking on the name. They are ok but fall out. surefire. I guess you could use the surefire under the cup muffs.

I am a Forum User
    Get a pair of ClearArmor 141001 for $15 on Amazon. I have several pair and have used them for a couple years and am very happy with them.

Don't necessarily believe the db ratings on ear protection....

The rating is an average across a broad spectrum of frequencies. So just because the NRR rating averaged 25db reduction in sound for a set of muffs, that does not mean they neccasarily reduce 25db at gun shot frequencies; it could be much less then the NRR db rating. Again, the NRR rating is skewed due to the broad frequency spectrum they use for the rating.

One of the prime examples people use is MSA Sordin electronic muffs. Their NRR rating is like 18db or so but at gun shot frequencies, they could reduce up to ~30db. That's a bit of a difference!

Some manufacturers actually release the information of how many decibels at what frequencies they perform at.

You can see here that the MSA Sordins have an NRR rating of 18db, yet they perform better than 18db at common gun shot frequencies.

Short story is, the NRR rating is damn near useless to us shooters. What we need is info like in the table above.

OP, perhaps consider just leaving some plugs behind as well and doubling up. Even if the person doesn't get the plugs in properly, they will likely still help. Even with owning high end muffs, like my MSA Sordins and Peltor Comtac IIIs, I still double up with Surefire plugs 90% of the time. Save them ears!
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 03-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.

I have to declare, the 3M's are at least better than the cheap Harbor Freight ones & the pair I've been using. I think I'll get another pair & take them to the cabin. The other set will stay in the shop.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast