Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    I'm not a giant fan of the pit. I hunt there, could manufacture some reasons to hate it. But I'd hate to see it go away. Cuz freedom.

Was checking my DNR emails and wondered if this was being discussed. Jackam was on it quick. Agree with the other guy, sounds like they're researching reasons to shut it down.

The pit will be shut down due to the lead in the soil samples. The only way it could be reopened is with hazmat.

Dig out all the lead and put in a barrier to retain the lead. It will cost a lot of money and maybe with public funding it could remain open but I doubt it. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

It could just be routine soil sampling. The DNR uses the testing to determine if and how much lime is needed and where it needs to be applied. The lime is used to control the leaching of the lead.

Banned
    I went there yesterday in the morning. It was closed. A couple of guys that were also waiting there said that they managed to get an answer. The answer was is that it's closed until Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    I went there yesterday in the morning. It was closed. A couple of guys that were also waiting there said that they managed to get an answer. The answer was is that it's closed until Tuesday.
    I was only supposed to be closed for the one day, 2-14-19, Friday, as reported in the local paper.

I hope they didn't waste a bunch of time sampling where the burn pits were on clean-up days.
    Last edited by Roundballer; 02-18-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    The pit will be shut down due to the lead in the soil samples. The only way it could be reopened is with hazmat.

Dig out all the lead and put in a barrier to retain the lead. It will cost a lot of money and maybe with public funding it could remain open but I doubt it. Just my 2 cents worth.
    So uh... Why aren't all the DNR ranges closed????
    Last edited by DP425; 02-18-2019 at 08:53 AM.

I am a Forum User
    For the dnr to close the pit down, wouldn't they have to abolish firearm hunting on that unit of state land? Then rewrite the rules of target practicing on all state owned land. last time I checked all state land that doesn't have a dnr range within so many miles is open to target practice outside of the safety zones, with a small game hunting license on person.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

maybe this is a good place to ask...
    what alternatives do we have to the pit?
    I have a friend who wants to learn about guns. If her neighborhood doesn't allow backyard shooting, what's an alternative to somewhere we can do more than 50yd indoor slowfire?
    We were going to head to peacemakers yesterday but couldn't make it, if that helps with area...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

If you’re close to peacemakers, you’re close to island lake shooting range, which has out to 100 yard slow fire. You could join the Livingston county gun club which has 2 or 300 yard lanes for $250 a year I believe. If not head out to cohoctah and shoot on state property there.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Rlxlvr View Post
    If you’re close to peacemakers, you’re close to island lake shooting range, which has out to 100 yard slow fire. You could join the Livingston county gun club which has 2 or 300 yard lanes for $250 a year I believe. If not head out to cohoctah and shoot on state property there.
    Island lake is an option, but I'd prefer somewhere I could have her shoot my portable steel targets at 100 without range fuds over my shoulder. Since we're pushing it back until March, there is a half decent chance the weather might allow that.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast