Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Ak front top grip wiggle

I have some wiggle on the wood top grip on my ak. Gas tube is tight but the furniture is loose on the gas tube. Anyone have an easy way to stop it from slipping?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have some wiggle on the wood top grip on my ak. Gas tube is tight but the furniture is loose on the gas tube. Anyone have an easy way to stop it from slipping?
    LoL... It's an AK of course it's loose. If it weren't it would probably stop working! It is NOT an issue. But IF it seriously bothers you pull the cover, the bolt return spring, the bolt carrier/operating rod assy. and the gas tube. Now you COULD put a SPOT of high temp RTV on the upper hand guard / gas tube to keep it from moving. BUT JUST A SPOT in one or two places or you well could end up hating life if you ever had to get the hand guard off the gas tube. LET IT FULLY SET BEFORE RE-ASSEMBLING.

But frankly I think you will find that it IS the gas tube that's moving. I have yet to see an AK that didn't.
    Last edited by tlagnhoj; 02-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I put a gas tube spring in thinking that was the issue but it appears to just be a poor fitting top grip. I thought about the high temp rtv or something similar. Thanks

I am a Forum User
    Most of the grips fit decent onto the gas tube assembly . Most of the gas tube assemblies are a bit loose. If it is in fact the gas tube assembly that is loose, MOVE ON!!! Trying to tighten up an AK more often then not, leads to problems. A HUGE part of what makes the AK so reliable is the fact that it is sloppy in all the right places.

Think of it like this... If you made a crescent wrench that was fit to sloppily it wouldn't work very well... That's most firearms. However, if you made a pipe wrench the was fit snugly and had very little slop it wouldn't work well either... That's your AK!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You could build up the end of the handguard with epoxy, glue, sand to fit. You could replace the wood....
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    You could build up the end of the handguard with epoxy, glue, sand to fit.
    what happens to epoxy when it gets hot... The hand guard is mounted to the gas tube Assy.

You could replace the wood....
    Is the wood the issue or is it the gas tube assy???

I am a Forum User
    Shim it tight with strips cut from a pop can

You could build up the end of the handguard with epoxy, glue, sand to fit. You could replace the wood....
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj View Post
    what happens to epoxy when it gets hot... The hand guard is mounted to the gas tube Assy.

Is the wood the issue or is it the gas tube assy???
    What kind of epoxy. Two part epoxy like pc7 or jb, nothing. Clear epoxy might singe a bit, it will be e fine. The handguards are wood, if the woods not singed it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    What kind of epoxy. Two part epoxy like pc7 or jb, nothing. Clear epoxy might singe a bit, it will be e fine. The handguards are wood, if the woods not singed it will be fine.
    I've used wood glue, 2 part Gorilla epoxy, it all works. The epoxy dries faster is all, so you can work it. You can also slightly bend the edge of the gas tube channel in a bit at the corners to better hold the wood.
    Last edited by JDG; 02-25-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Active airport shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast