Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

94 magizine tube

I have a very nice Ted Williams 30-30 lever, made of course by Winchester, that I would like to modify by shortening the barrel to 16.5" and cutting the magazine tube to the end of the forend. I will hire the barrel done as I no longer have a lathe but I think I can handle the tube, well, with your help I can. I would like some advise on just how to go about chopping the tube and reinstalling the spring and cap.
    Thank You for any useful advise.
    Russ

Dremel with cutting disc.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    I would determine if the receiver end of the magazine tube could be cut, rather than the cap end. Then no need to drill for cap retaining screw.

The cross screws of the barrel/forearm bands retain the magazine. The barrel and magazine have a groove cut for the screw. I would see if the front barrel band groove in the magazine would line up with the groove in the barrel for the forearm band. If so, you would not have to cut a new groove. The front end of the magazine tube would be original, still cut square and finished and have the cap screw hole still in place.

If you are not happy where the front barrel band screw puts the magazine when matched to the rear forearm band groove of the barrel you will have to cut a new groove in your magazine or barrel.

You will also need to shorten the magazine spring. I would do this taking a little off at a time until you can load to your new capacity.