Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4277 of 2019 - Allow teachers/other school employees to carry pepper spray in school & school property

HB 4277 of 2019
    Weapons; other; teachers and other school employees to carry pepper spray in school and on school property under certain circumstances; allow. Amends sec. 237a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.237a.
    Last Action: 3/5/2019 bill electronically reproduced 02/28/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill, like the one last year, would allow a school employee to carry a weapon (including a firearm) on school property (where they are employed) as long as they are carrying self defense spray or foam, as well.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    This bill, like the one last year, would allow a school employee to carry a weapon (including a firearm) on school property (where they are employed) as long as they are carrying self defense spray or foam, as well.
    This would just remove the misdemeanor for the weapons-free school zone. They would still have to carry openly and have a CPL due to 28.425o and 750.234d, right?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    This would just remove the misdemeanor for the weapons-free school zone. They would still have to carry openly and have a CPL due to 28.425o and 750.234d, right?
    What does 750.234d have to do with carrying on school property?

I am a Forum User
    What does 750.234d have to do with carrying on school property?
    Brain fart.

MGO Board of Directors

But yes, this bill would not allow *concealed* carry of a pistol on school property, even when carrying self defense spray or foam.

Given that our courts have ruled that schools can create policy and prohibit firearms, it's probably a moot point.

I am a Forum User
    But yes, this bill would not allow *concealed* carry of a pistol on school property, even when carrying self defense spray or foam.

Given that our courts have ruled that schools can create policy and prohibit firearms, it's probably a moot point.
    It would raise a very peculiar conflict preemption case, assuming the legislative intent is decided in favor of this allowing teachers to carry guns while carrying spray.