Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

HB 4194 of 2019 - Extend Validity of CPL from 5 Years to 10 Years (Retroactive to licensees issued on or after Jan 1, 2016)

HB 4194 of 2019
    Weapons; licensing; renewal of license to carry a concealed pistol; modify. Amends sec. 5l of 1927 PA M372 (MCL 28.425l).
    Last Action: 2/19/2019 bill electronically reproduced 02/14/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Cost is unchanged. 10 year licenses for the same cost of a previous 5 year license.

Is this MSP's solution to Michigan Open Carry's lawsuit exposing the surplus of funds?

Unless something has changed, this will take-away the ability to use a CPL in lieu of a NICS check, thus a step toward "universal background checks".
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Other than the loss of NICS exemption I see nothing wrong with this. Personally I would rather have a 5 year CPL and keep the NICS exemption though.

There is something nefarious going on with this one. I just can't put my finger on it.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    There is something nefarious going on with this one. I just can't put my finger on it.
    I don't know...the sponsor has a limited record since this is only his second term, but he did vote for constitutional carry last term before it went to the Senate to die; so I'm guessing he is at least a little pro gun.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

Once you get a CPL, it is "in the system". If you are convicted of any misdemeanors or felonies that would disqualify you from having a CPL, the checks and balances are already in place to flag the CPL and get it revoked "with cause".

The only thing I could see escaping detection (in regards to ongoing CPL eligibility) would be a conviction in another state. That would get picked-up on a full CPL background check, but would not necessarily get the CPL flagged in Michigan upon entry into the system by another state.

Point is, "Lifetime" CPL's are possible (other states issue them), so going from 5 years to 10 years may be seen as a "baby step" in that direction. The cost savings is a benefit, but with the convenience of online renewal and speedy turnarounds, as well as the provisions for extending license validity when renewing early (vs losing time off the last license)…it really isn't a big deal to renew every 5 years and keep the NICS exemption.

It's a lot easier to forget that you license is expiring with 10 year intervals vs 5 year…should the renewal notice not reach you (moved, lost in mail, clerk just didn't send it, etc).

Currently, our 5 year CPLs cost $23/yr. That works out to be just over 6 cents per day.

When thinking of cost savings…remember, all it takes is to pass another subsequent bill to raise the old $115 renewal to $230 now that the duration has been extended to 10 years vs 5 years.

Yeah, my wife's cpl expires in a month or so and still hasn't received a notice or pin from the county clerk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Yeah, my wife's cpl expires in a month or so and still hasn't received a notice or pin from the county clerk.
    Not surprising, based on your County Clerk...

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    I don't know...the sponsor has a limited record since this is only his second term, but he did vote for constitutional carry last term before it went to the Senate to die; so I'm guessing he is at least a little pro gun.
    I think that the limited record is part of my suspicions. He voted pro on what was presented to him, but he has NO record of sponsoring this type of legislation. It leaves me suspicious and makes me wonder "why", was he put up to doing this? Who is behind this and what are their motives?

This whole questionable line of though applies to both sponsors, they have similar records. Who really gains?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    By extending the validity of the CPL to 10 years, wouldn't Michigan risk losing reciprocity with other states?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast