Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR or AK?

I am a Forum User

AR or AK?

As a gun owner I am heavy on shotguns and rifles. I want to get a AR or AK? I will be honest and state I am green when it comes to buying one or building one and I am not a young man? I like many of the rifles posted, but if you guys would name the brands and Calibers it would be helpful for me to read and learn.

Sounds like I should build one so I don't put out a bunch of cash at once but have exactly what I want without going cheap? I am also left handed, is this option available?

I have been here a long time. Feeling like its finally time I get one, build some ammo inventory and include high cap mags. I do know I want a 5.56 chamber.

You should start a new thread or topic. Short answer is WASR or yugo off the shelf best value. It will be messy in this photo thread, so start new we will guide you.

edit, I am ammending this comment with before other thread you said just ak.

I like aks, have two converted russian saiga, one 5.56, one 7.62x39. Love em.

But I bought them 11 years ago. AR is much beter value now.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 03-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.

MGO Board of Directors

Split posts off into new topic/thread.

-Admin
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Well first you need to decide what you want to do with it? Home security, target, plinking, hunting? The AK is a great rifle for every day home defense and plinking. Ammo is cheap and it's fun to shoot and easy to clean and care for. But don't expect super accuracy from it. They suck as hunting rifles and worthless as long (over 200 yards) range target rifles. The AR can be more expensive (for a good one), harder to maintain but are much more accurate. I've had AK's but have never liked them other than for spraying lead. My cheapest AR's will out shoot the most expensive AK for accuracy. There are some pretty cheap AR's on the market but for a first time AR with low budget they will do the job. A decent base model AR will defend your home, put rounds on target out to 500m and even do well hunting with the right bullet. The ammo is super cheap now too in 5.56 and .223 which is what I would suggest sticking to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Split posts off into new topic/thread.

-Admin
    Thanks, apologize to those who got the other thread going. looked like a good place to ask since the photos showed variety and accessories.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    Well first you need to decide what you want to do with it? Home security, target, plinking, hunting? The AK is a great rifle for every day home defense and plinking. Ammo is cheap and it's fun to shoot and easy to clean and care for. But don't expect super accuracy from it. They suck as hunting rifles and worthless as long (over 200 yards) range target rifles. The AR can be more expensive (for a good one), harder to maintain but are much more accurate. I've had AK's but have never liked them other than for spraying lead. My cheapest AR's will out shoot the most expensive AK for accuracy. There are some pretty cheap AR's on the market but for a first time AR with low budget they will do the job. A decent base model AR will defend your home, put rounds on target out to 500m and even do well hunting with the right bullet. The ammo is super cheap now too in 5.56 and .223 which is what I would suggest sticking to.
    I would like accuracy, for inside home defense I have other options. I want an accurate gun for outside defense in case crap hits the fan and possibly hunting. I would want something that I can shoot accurate. If they are expensive I can either build and spread the cost. Then start looking for what i want and figure out how much I am going to spend. The AR would be the rifle and I like the cheap ammo. So now i know hat where to start? Brands? build or purchase?

I like my browning A-Bolt due to the accuracy I get with it. I just something with higher capacity options.
    Last edited by kingfisher; 03-04-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Unless your planning on tooling up with a press, press plates, a bunch of special riveting tools, you may want to stick to an AR. Anybody can assemble an AR, with some specialty tools. The AK is much more complicated to build, and expensive to buy these days.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    I agree build your own if you have the time and basic skills. The aftermarket AR business is amazing. You can go cheap or go expensive or in between. Just start picking parts. Warning though it can get addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I would like accuracy, for inside home defense I have other options. I want an accurate gun for outside defense in case crap hits the fan and possibly hunting. I would want something that I can shoot accurate. If they are expensive I can either build and spread the cost. Then start looking for what i want and figure out how much I am going to spend. The AR would be the rifle and I like the cheap ammo. So now i know hat where to start? Brands? build or purchase?

I like my browning A-Bolt due to the accuracy I get with it. I just something with higher capacity options.
    Defintely ar15, better sights is the main difference for me. And that right now a good ar15 is 550, a good ak is 700-1000.

Its no contest at that point.

You can get a good ar15 off the shelf like a flat top sw mp sport II for $550. Then ad sling, red dot, any other gear as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Unless your planning on tooling up with a press, press plates, a bunch of special riveting tools, you may want to stick to an AR. Anybody can assemble an AR, with some specialty tools. The AK is much more complicated to build, and expensive to buy these days.
    I agree, would not even attempt it for one gun unless you know someone with all the tools and its your 4-5th rifle and its for fun.

You cannt beat the european military arsenel built guns.

It seems like you should be able to or american this, american that.

Dont even try unless its for fun, and you like tinkering and want to say you built it.

You will come out miles ahead just buying a used nornico mak90 and call it a day.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast