Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AR or AK?

I am a Forum User
    As a long time owner/builder of AR's, I can go on and on about what they bring to the table. With that said, I had bug to buy an AK a few moths ago. Bought a WASR 10. I owned it barely a week, and without even firing a single shot, I listed it for sale and sold it. The QUALITY FACTOR alone was the deciding issue. Side by side there is no comparison. AK's might be a fine weapon for some, but for me, I could not get over the "cheapness" (for lack of a better word) of an AK. Felt and looked like a joke next to an AR. AR's are modular, and so simplistic in design, it is like legos for adults. Dont like something, swap it out in minutes. Ammo is cheap, accuracy is superb, prices are lower, and quality is superior.

I vote AR

Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry2007 View Post
    As a long time owner/builder of AR's, I can go on and on about what they bring to the table. With that said, I had bug to buy an AK a few moths ago. Bought a WASR 10. I owned it barely a week, and without even firing a single shot, I listed it for sale and sold it. The QUALITY FACTOR alone was the deciding issue. Side by side there is no comparison. AK's might be a fine weapon for some, but for me, I could not get over the "cheapness" (for lack of a better word) of an AK. Felt and looked like a joke next to an AR. AR's are modular, and so simplistic in design, it is like legos for adults. Dont like something, swap it out in minutes. Ammo is cheap, accuracy is superb, prices are lower, and quality is superior.

I vote AR
    I dunno if quality is the right word. WASR are good quality, sorta rough finish. All arsenel built aks pretty much run like a top, its just some have funky finish that looks nothing like a cerakote or fine blueing etc. Funky cheap wood, finished poorly is not uncommon.

They work, so the quality is there.

Plus you can spend a bit more a yugo looks pretty nice in my opinion.

I think if one gets to the point they have more than 3 of either, they should buy 1 of the ones they dont have. When you have three ARs you owe it to yourself to get an ak, possible cz vz58, fal clone, hk clone etc.

Same after 3 aks, get yourself something else. Taste the other burbons out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry2007 View Post

I vote AR

Don't let one sample ruin your opinion. All WASRs are not created equal, some are canted up like a derailed train, some are straight as an arrow, none are pretty. Get yourself a milled Polish, or Russian AK if you want pretty. They all pretty much work(Combloc made), its just what are you willing to pay for?
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    I’d rather have this for under 1k.

I built my first AR how I wanted and without optics, ended up around $1,400 into it. I just built an AR as cheap as I possibly could(well almost as cheap, spent a few dollars extra on a couple parts since I actually wanted to shoot them) and ended up at $280 into an AR pistol with a POS plastic lower that’s going to be swapped out for an aluminum when I feel like swapping the parts and $350 for a pencil barreled rifle utilizing a spikes stripped lower and Aero stripped upper. Found the rest of the parts at gun and knife shows. My .223 Saiga sporter(AK design) set me back $424 after tax and wasrs are hovering around $500 in 7.62x39 right now. I’ve never bought an AK but plenty of my friends have and I love them, I enjoy shooting AKs far more than I do ARs, the iron sights are great, really can’t complain about them at all. Which was why I bought the Saiga(plus they’re hard to come by now so I figured I could always flip it) I like building guns as well and ARs are like adult LEGO’s. The one cool thing about AR15s is you can change calibers by pushing out 2 pins on your receiver and swapping your upper. Can’t do that with any ak variants lol one thing I can be certain of is I don’t think either would disappoint you

Quote Originally Posted by Rlxlvr View Post
    I built my first AR how I wanted and without optics, ended up around $1,400 into it. I just built an AR as cheap as I possibly could(well almost as cheap, spent a few dollars extra on a couple parts since I actually wanted to shoot them) and ended up at $280 into an AR pistol with a POS plastic lower that’s going to be swapped out for an aluminum when I feel like swapping the parts and $350 for a pencil barreled rifle utilizing a spikes stripped lower and Aero stripped upper. Found the rest of the parts at gun and knife shows. My .223 Saiga sporter(AK design) set me back $424 after tax and wasrs are hovering around $500 in 7.62x39 right now. I’ve never bought an AK but plenty of my friends have and I love them, I enjoy shooting AKs far more than I do ARs, the iron sights are great, really can’t complain about them at all. Which was why I bought the Saiga(plus they’re hard to come by now so I figured I could always flip it) I like building guns as well and ARs are like adult LEGO’s. The one cool thing about AR15s is you can change calibers by pushing out 2 pins on your receiver and swapping your upper. Can’t do that with any ak variants lol one thing I can be certain of is I don’t think either would disappoint you
    in red you meant you think AK steel sights are great?

I disagree, peep sights on ar15, hk, fal, anything is far superior.

Now if you put a co witness red dot on an ak, and also on a ar15 its a moot point.

He was looking for cheap buy in price, nice rail mount and inexpensive red dot is 110 bucks for midwest rail, 150-300 for red dot.

Not the best value and thats my set up on my ak. Gonna put an illuminated scope on my 223 ak. Again 100 for mount a couple hundred for the scope.

All my ARs have low profile gas blocks and adding a pair of decent flip ups is $100-200. All comes down to personal preference. I like basic steel sights. If you want to add a rail and red dot the AR is the way to go. Personally I’m not a huge fan of “assault rifles” but I like the controversy that surrounds them so I have 10. 5 30rd SKS’ 3 ARs, a Saiga and an Uzi

Personally I’m not a huge fan of “assault rifles” but I like the controversy that surrounds them so I have 10. 5 30rd SKS’ 3 ARs, a Saiga and an Uzi
    Ha.

I am a fan but love that .....if you are serious.

I am a Forum User
    All my ARs have low profile gas blocks and adding a pair of decent flip ups is $100-200. All comes down to personal preference. I like basic steel sights. If you want to add a rail and red dot the AR is the way to go. Personally I’m not a huge fan of “assault rifles” but I like the controversy that surrounds them so I have 10. 5 30rd SKS’ 3 ARs, a Saiga and an Uzi
    I want one for many reasons but I do like the idea just to piss off the democrats.

I am a Forum User
    I would have no problem building one, my background is a I am a tool maker and use to own a CNC machine shop. I look at all the accessories and think man I could of many many of them.

I am definitely going the route of AR. The price difference I think I will just go with a purchase base gun and add as I go. Probably a red dot or scope. Iron sites are for spraying and younger eyes.

Now the plan is Brands? I don't want junk and I don't want the top end. I want a gun that I can pull out once in a while, maybe target shoot or maybe predator hunt with. I like the fact I can stock up on several 1000 rounds on a lower price center fire ammo. I am familiar with several brands, appearance would probably be the deciding factor for me. That is why I mention in the photo post if names were there I could tell you he brand I liked and you could say yes or no

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast