Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AR or AK?

Completely serious lol I enjoy shooting .22s and bolt action rifles for fun, collecting old military guns for the history, and having the high cap stuff just to say I have it. I have a hard time getting into modern firearms, horrible bluing, injection molded parts, Poor woodwork, the list goes on. I like steel in my pistols with hot tank blueing or solid stainless frames, tight machines tolerances and wood grips. Rifles with hand checkering and mirror bluing, hand me an old Sako or German weatherby over any 700. I might only be 24 but my tastes are a few generations behind. Not knocking other people’s preferences either; I just prefer the beauty and craftsmanship of guns from days gone passed. You don’t see the kind of quality in modern firearms. modern machined castings leave a lot to be desired in terms of presentatio to me as well.

I would just suggest building it to begin with, Anderson completed lower for $180 with magpul furniture, aero precision stripped upper, get rid of the 2 stage trigger and drop in a CMC 3.5lb single stage trigger, throw in a NiB coated BCG with an ambidextrous bolt charging handle, find a barrel and hand guard that suits your preference and a decent muzzle brake. Put on a palmetto low profile gas block and a stainless steel gas tube. Which would put you right around $400 w/o hand guard barrel and muzzle brake. If you want it a bit more personal, grab a spikes tactical lower that suits your personality for $50 more. Would be around $6-700 completed without optics.

Completely custom route, buy a stripped spikes lower, lower parts kit no trigger, Daniel defense furniture kit, 7 slot buffer tube, aero stripped upper, NiB coated BCG, ambi charging handle, cmc single stage 3.5lb trigger, adjustable gas block with stainless gas tube. Which is about $550 without a barrel, muzzle brake and hand guard.

Or completely stock I’d just go with a DPMS from rural king which is $450+ tax right now or order a completed lower from palmetto and choose a completed upper you like from them which will be around $500
    Last edited by Rlxlvr; 03-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I would have no problem building one, my background is a I am a tool maker and use to own a CNC machine shop. I look at all the accessories and think man I could of many many of them.

I am definitely going the route of AR. The price difference I think I will just go with a purchase base gun and add as I go. Probably a red dot or scope. Iron sites are for spraying and younger eyes.

Now the plan is Brands? I don't want junk and I don't want the top end. I want a gun that I can pull out once in a while, maybe target shoot or maybe predator hunt with. I like the fact I can stock up on several 1000 rounds on a lower price center fire ammo. I am familiar with several brands, appearance would probably be the deciding factor for me. That is why I mention in the photo post if names were there I could tell you he brand I liked and you could say yes or no

If you're looking to stay on a budget and don't mind building one:
    -I think you'd have a hard time finding a *bad* lower, as long as it's milspec, which pretty much all of the major names are at this point, you'll probably be fine: Spike's, Aero, Anderson, they all work just as well as any other and can be found for $100 or less.
    -For barrels, I really like Ballistic Advantage, they have a sub-MOA guarantee and aren't too pricey. I've used them in almost all my builds and for friend's builds and have never had an issue. They also regularly run deals that if you buy a barrel and gas block (or something similar), you get a free upper included.
    -Standard BCG should be fine but I really like the WMD nickel boron coating BCG. It runs smoother and is easier to clean. But even a cheap PSA one would probably be okay, I'd spend the extra cash here and get something good here though.
    -For LPK, I'd strongly recommend not cheaping out and buying the $20 no-name brand. In my experience, there IS a difference. Spend the extra $20-25 and get a quality brand like Spike's, BCM, DPMS, Geissele, etc...
    -There a ton of handguards out there, just have to choose what flavor you want, I usually run Midwest Industries on mine, they're well built and not particularly expensive.
    -Everything else is kind of up to you and if you want to spend the extra for some luxury items: I really like the Daniel Defense stock and grip, Magpul is solid as well, I'm running the Vltor EMOD currently but it's on the pricier side. You can always spend the extra $200 for a nice match trigger later if you want, the milspec trigger is fine to start with. Having a nice ambi or larger charging handle from BCM or Vltor is nice but again, not necessary. For everything else, I'd probably just stick with budget friendly parts, probably won't notice a difference.

I know for budget, a lot of people love PSA. IMO, they're junk and most experiences I've had with them confirm that. But they do let you build a complete AR for very little $$$.

MGO Member
    OP also stated he is LH. IIRC no LH AKs So buy a complete LH AR or best choice build a LH AR the way you want it ( style & cal. ) .. Example https://www.stagarms.com/left-handed-rifles/

Both. Definitely both.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    OP also stated he is LH. IIRC no LH AKs So buy a complete LH AR or best choice build a LH AR the way you want it ( style & cal. ) .. Example https://www.stagarms.com/left-handed-rifles/
    good catch I think there are a few others.

My brother is left handed but the choices are not there for everything, he just started shooting like a righty and went with it.

I was given a left hand hockey stick really young, I am right handed, I had a wicked left wrist shot. Never went right stick, because its not hard to find a lefty.

I am curious if all his guns are lefty or not.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    I would have no problem building one, my background is a I am a tool maker and use to own a CNC machine shop. I look at all the accessories and think man I could of many many of them.

I am definitely going the route of AR. The price difference I think I will just go with a purchase base gun and add as I go. Probably a red dot or scope. Iron sites are for spraying and younger eyes.

Now the plan is Brands? I don't want junk and I don't want the top end. I want a gun that I can pull out once in a while, maybe target shoot or maybe predator hunt with. I like the fact I can stock up on several 1000 rounds on a lower price center fire ammo. I am familiar with several brands, appearance would probably be the deciding factor for me. That is why I mention in the photo post if names were there I could tell you he brand I liked and you could say yes or no
    Being a Toolmaker, consider getting an AR 80% lower and completing it.

Make a build list on paper. Then have others review it, make suggestions.

Once the parts list is finalized, watch for sales/deals/classifieds.

Accumulate the parts. Buy/borrow needed tools and put it together.

I'll bet there are a bunch of guys with the tools/knowledge that would be happy to help.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    good catch I think there are a few others.

My brother is left handed but the choices are not there for everything, he just started shooting like a righty and went with it.

I was given a left hand hockey stick really young, I am right handed, I had a wicked left wrist shot. Never went right stick, because its not hard to find a lefty.

I am curious if all his guns are lefty or not.
    My bolts are all LH, couple of 870's are not LH. Levers of course no issue. Problem with my 22LR that are RH auto loaders is the hot spent brass.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Being a Toolmaker, consider getting an AR 80% lower and completing it.

Make a build list on paper. Then have others review it, make suggestions.

Once the parts list is finalized, watch for sales/deals/classifieds.

Accumulate the parts. Buy/borrow needed tools and put it together.

I'll bet there are a bunch of guys with the tools/knowledge that would be happy to help.
    I know longer have the equipment or direct access to machines anymore. I am now a office rat, but still involved in engineering, processing and estimating in manufacturing. Every time I walk by the equipment I want to get dirty.

I have got a couple of very helpful PM's

I am a Forum User
    I was able o look at the Stag 15L O.R.C. and the 15L M4. I like both but what is the difference other than price?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast