Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    It definitely makes your pistol cooler...

I am a Forum User
    One thing to consider is that the longer barrel will increase velocity slightly. This may either increase or decrease accuracy based on rifling twist rate and bullet length. The increase in velocity may also increase spread in bullet velocity from round to round which can diminish accuracy. However the higher velocity will flatten the trajectory, transitions from one distance to another easier.

From bullets by the inch, 9mm 115 grain taking a G19
    from 4 to 5" the velocity goes from 1094 to 1166 fps (70fps) and is pretty linear in the 3-6" region. so a threaded barrel of 4.5" will increase velocity 35 fps.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    add to the accuracy? Is the threaded portion rifled?
    With Glocks in mind.
    As mentioned above, it 'shouldn't' make a difference in improved accuracy (apples to apples, or Glock barrel to Glock barrel).

I have had threaded barrels improve Glock accuracy (IF) the threaded barrel is a quality tight fitting aftermarket barrel vs the stock Glock barrel.

As far as effecting bullet speed, it can make it faster or make it slower, again, depends on the barrel build. I have a few longer threaded Glock-fit barrels that actually slow the bullet speed down due to using conventional rifling instead of the Glock Poly rifling.

One thing to keep in mind is that a threaded barrel 'can' decrease accuracy (IF) the thread protection cap folds over the front of barrel & the center hole is not perfectly aligned with the barrel bore (acts like crooked barrel crown).

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    ...It does seem strange that the length doesn't help that much, if at all....
    Your length addition (1/2”) isn’t significant really, it’s not really surprising that it’s effect on accuracy is minimal and marginal at best.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Your length addition (1/2”) isn’t significant really, it’s not really surprising that it’s effect on accuracy is minimal and marginal at best.
    I read several test reports over the years, some very well done, where a pistol was fired from a ransom rest with a progressively shorter barrel. After each accuracy round the barrel was removed, shortened, re-crowned, the installed and headspaced.
    If I recall correctly, the test went from 10" to 2", with very little shift in accuracy or point of impact (at 25 yards). Velocity dropped significantly with each inch cut off, but overall accuracy remained steady.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I read several test reports over the years, some very well done, where a pistol was fired from a ransom rest with a progressively shorter barrel. After each accuracy round the barrel was removed, shortened, re-crowned, the installed and headspaced.
    If I recall correctly, the test went from 10" to 2", with very little shift in accuracy or point of impact (at 25 yards). Velocity dropped significantly with each inch cut off, but overall accuracy remained steady.
    Just proving out the notion that the gun is generally very accurate and precise-as expected for a mechanical device and it’s the shooter that creates issues with accuracy and precision.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    If you can out-shoot a half inch of a barrel length then I'd like to shake your hand and congratulate your wife.
    I've been trying for years to no avail.

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

This has been a learning experience. Thank you all.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12