Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

H 4294 of 2019 - Authorize FFL to access certain info via LEIN

HB 4294 of 2019
    Law enforcement; law enforcement information network (LEIN); certain information through the law enforcement information network (LEIN); authorize firearm retail sellers to request. Amends sec. 4 of 1974 PA 163 (MCL 28.214).
    Last Action: 3/6/2019 bill electronically reproduced 03/05/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This appears to simply allow a licensed firearms dealer to access LEIN to determine if a firearm is stolen.
    It has nothing to do with background checks.

What it fails to specify is…what is the FFL supposed to do if the firearm is indeed stolen?
    Simply refuse to accept it?
    Confiscate it and report it to the police?

Not that the above is necessarily a bad thing. Frankly, EVERYONE should have access to the stolen firearms database component of LEIN, IMO.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

What would prevent them from publishing a list of firearms reported to be stolen right now?

First: Dealers can access it.
    Later: Dealers will be required to use it.
    Finally: Dealers will be required to pay a tax to use the system to support its upkeep (whereupon the money will end up in the general fund and be unaccounted).

Quote Originally Posted by luckless View Post
    What would prevent them from publishing a list of firearms reported to be stolen right now?

First: Dealers can access it.
    Later: Dealers will be required to use it.
    Finally: Dealers will be required to pay a tax to use the system to support its upkeep (whereupon the money will end up in the general fund and be unaccounted).
    There we have it its about revenue again !