Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Cohocta/Oak Grove

Greetings,

First post/just joined - found a bunch of useful threads via Google and signed up.

I did some research already, so I'd just like to get confirmation that Target Shooting with a safe backstop is OK at Cohocta/Oak Grove State Game Area? (a member mentioned the upper lot area at the S-Bend on Wiggens Rd, near the power lines). I'll be driving up from New Hudson - about 40 minutes. I shoot at Huron Valley currently, but Indoor Range liability rules get old. Nothing crazy, just some portable Target Stands under 50yds with 9mm/5.56. Would be during the work week, and around 11AM when I would go.

Thanks In Advance.

Banned
    I have seen people doing it. I will say there is no backstop there at all let alone a safe one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by C Co. 3/75 View Post
    Greetings,

First post/just joined - found a bunch of useful threads via Google and signed up.

I did some research already, so I'd just like to get confirmation that Target Shooting with a safe backstop is OK at Cohocta/Oak Grove State Game Area? (a member mentioned the upper lot area at the S-Bend on Wiggens Rd, near the power lines). I'll be driving up from New Hudson - about 40 minutes. I shoot at Huron Valley currently, but Indoor Range liability rules get old. Nothing crazy, just some portable Target Stands under 50yds with 9mm/5.56. Would be during the work week, and around 11AM when I would go.

Thanks In Advance.

It is a state game area, so shooting is allowed. I think most people get a small game license, just in case some DNR comes by, but not a requirement if you are shooting at an identifiable target, and being careful about where your rounds end up (backstop). There is a small section there setup for maybe 7-10 yards for pistol shooting, with a small hill/berm as a backstop. I am sure you can find other ranges to shoot at, and probably some quite far if you stick to the edge of the power company easement.

I go there a couple times a year, and always take out quite a bit of garbage. Nothing major, but the "pistol shooting area" accumulates lots of leftovers from shooting small appliances, computers, or whatever was around that day for a target. I always bring cardboard/paper targets myself, but typically carry out what I can.

Besides the target practice, there are quite a few nice walks to be had, and well as some fishing depending on which location you end up at.

I'll have to pack wifey in the truck and go for a ride. 40+ yrs living here and have never been there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Co. 3/75 View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks In Advance.
    There are a crap ton of threads here on Oak Grove and target shooting. Do a search on this forum and you will find many answers to your concerns and questions.

I am a Forum User
    3rd holler on the right then up the road a piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citoricx View Post
    I have seen people doing it. I will say there is no backstop there at all let alone a safe one.

Not true. Several places in the Oak Grove State Game area have natural backstops and a couple man made ones too.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bcavanau View Post
    It is a state game area, so shooting is allowed. I think most people get a small game license, just in case some DNR comes by, but not a requirement if you are shooting at an identifiable target, and being careful about where your rounds end up (backstop). There is a small section there setup for maybe 7-10 yards for pistol shooting, with a small hill/berm as a backstop. I am sure you can find other ranges to shoot at, and probably some quite far if you stick to the edge of the power company easement.

I go there a couple times a year, and always take out quite a bit of garbage. Nothing major, but the "pistol shooting area" accumulates lots of leftovers from shooting small appliances, computers, or whatever was around that day for a target. I always bring cardboard/paper targets myself, but typically carry out what I can.

Besides the target practice, there are quite a few nice walks to be had, and well as some fishing depending on which location you end up at.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I have no problem cleaning other peoples stuff up too, so we can keep shooting there - I'll bring some 55 gal bags.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    There are a crap ton of threads here on Oak Grove and target shooting. Do a search on this forum and you will find many answers to your concerns and questions.

Will do, thanks for the info.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgrider View Post
    Not true. Several places in the Oak Grove State Game area have natural backstops and a couple man made ones too.
    I was referring to the bend on the road he was talking about. I have seen numerous people shooting right in that parking lot into the field. I know the field is an upward slope but I don't consider that a proper backstop. To each their own I guess as I don't hunt that area anymore anyway. Way to much traffic in and out of there. Just easier and much safer to join a club.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Citoricx View Post
    I was referring to the bend on the road he was talking about. I have seen numerous people shooting right in that parking lot into the field. I know the field is an upward slope but I don't consider that a proper backstop. To each their own I guess as I don't hunt that area anymore anyway. Way to much traffic in and out of there. Just easier and much safer to join a club.

That was just the area other people mentioned - If I don't like the way it looks, I'll search around - I haven't even been there yet. I'm not even above buying 8x8's and making a backstop if it was allowed, LOL. The only club I've found that would allow "real world"/"practical" stuff, is Livingston Conservation. Need a sponsor, dues, have to volunteer time, special "tests" to use certain ranges, etc... Too much of a PITA *for me* - just want to go train with minimal fuss. But if it doesn't work out, no biggie - I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up behind bars for shooting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast