Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

3-D Printing Mag Followers

I was just talking with Greg Cote about magazines for my SAR K2 45. We were discussing the fact that factory SAR mags are not available, and we can substitute Para P14 mags instead (dwcopple also pointed this out in another thread). However, the Para mags will not lock the slide open after the last round because of the shape of the follower. Greg has looked into this, but cannot find a source for replacement followers. He did suggest using a 3-D printer to copy the original factory mag follower that I have (one mag came with the gun).

So, is there anyone (preferably in the greater Lansing area) that can assist with this project? My knowledge of 3-D printers extends to little more than knowing how to spell it.

Thanks.

The 3d printing part is easy. You need someone who can draw it in CAD.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

i believe google has a free 3D program called SketchUp. It looks like it has the ability to export to 3D printer formats, but I can't say it will work WELL for you.
    But some years back I used it to design a custom mouse testing apparatus and then sent the files off to a plastics workshop. Worked like a charm.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Photogrammetry is your answer for such a small project. You could do something like this. There are a few other options on line. Short answer you use your camera to take pictures of the entity from all directions and upload it to autodesks recap 360 and the pictures get converted to a .obj file. That file you can then push to a 3d printer or convert it into a format the 3d printer of your choosing can understand. No cad knowledge necessary and you can get a fairly reasonable model for what you are trying to do.

https://levels.io/3d-scan-phone/

I am a Forum User
    why don't you just add some JB putty to the follower to make it engage the slide catch?

MGO Member
    Couple things, as someone already pointed out you need a 3D model of the follower.
    This really should be created as a solid/brep model in a CAD system. Trying to use photogrammetry won't give you the tolerances and accuracy necessary for this to work reliably.

You can try your hand at designing the follower yourself by downloading and trying something link Autodesk's Fusion 360 which is free to students and hobbyists (for now).

One you have your 3D model you want to export the STL file into the 3D Printers software and print it. Most home 3D printers print with PLA, (polylactic acid) which is biodegradable, and not great around water and solvents. Those inexpensive printers can usually also print in ABS. More expensive printers can print in Nylon or more solvent friendly plastics.

If you can get a lot of dimensions and pictures I could try to make one for fun.

Thanks for the input. It appears this will be a bit more complex than I imagined, and you are all indicating (rightfully so) just how much I don't know about this. If anyone is willing to work with me on this, especially with the design aspect, I would certainly appreciate it.

Oh, dwcopple, from what I've read, the JB Weld is, at best, a temporary fix. Apparently it has a tendency to separate at some point. Again, just my understanding of what I've read.

I am a Forum User
    drill a pin hole on the current follower ledge where you will apply the epoxy PUTTY, not the two part mix, and press it through the drilled hole to lock it into place.