Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

High Standard Double 9 that cannot fire .22 magnum? -

Hi,
    A poster here says because a High Standard 'Double 9' .22 cal pistol he has is "made of an alloy"; it is NOT recommended to shoot .22 magnum rounds with it; even if it would accommodate a magnum cylinder. Is this correct? Thanks. - Greg

Possible, there is a slight difference in pressures between the mag and long rifle. A lot of guns are built from a "alloy", zinc, steel, aluminum though and, it would depend on what one and the design strength of the frame.
    I would think you would have more problems shoehorning a mag cylinder between the yoke and recoil plate making it all moot anyway though
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member Forum User
    In 1971 they switched from aluminum to steel. The steel frames are rated for magnum, the aluminum ones are not:

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/HSD9/hsd9.html

Pretty interesting read. I did not know that Sears was a big stake holder in High Standard. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

So you're buddy is likely correct, but "alloy" doesn't really tell us anything. Every metal ever used in any gun was an alloy.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    ......So you're buddy is likely correct, but "alloy" doesn't really tell us anything. Every metal ever used in any gun was an alloy.
    Blame our British cousins. They started referring to aluminum as "light alloy" before WW I and the term became popular across the English and German speaking worlds.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, SolarGuy; just saw your response!
    It's always intrigued me about 'High Standard' is to think that a hundred years to maybe 50; 60 years ago, people across the country were buying their guns out of the good ol' 'Sears and Roebuck' mail order catalog!
    And they were made by 'High Standard' most of the time; whether rifle or pistol - and most were .22 caliber. A real bygone era!
    -I'll take a look at the web link, too - thanks again!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Possible, there is a slight difference in pressures between the mag and long rifle. A lot of guns are built from a "alloy", zinc, steel, aluminum though and, it would depend on what one and the design strength of the frame.
    I would think you would have more problems shoehorning a mag cylinder between the yoke and recoil plate making it all moot anyway though
    22LR and 22WRM are both 24k psi.

Joe

I am a Forum User
    Interesting, Joe. Thanks to you too; and '10x25' also!

I am a Forum User
    I have no skin in the game but if you look at the cartridge dimensions, a 22 mag will not fit into a chamber reamed for 22LR. 22 short, 22 Long, and 22 Long Rifle will fit in the same chamber but 22 mag, the case diameter is too big.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    Thanks, SolarGuy; just saw your response!
    It's always intrigued me about 'High Standard' is to think that a hundred years to maybe 50; 60 years ago, people across the country were buying their guns out of the good ol' 'Sears and Roebuck' mail order catalog!
    And they were made by 'High Standard' most of the time; whether rifle or pistol - and most were .22 caliber. A real bygone era!
    -I'll take a look at the web link, too - thanks again!
    My pleasure! Yeah, if the guns are the problem, and you could order a rifle, shotgun or pistol from sears, and it would be sitting on your porch from the friendly mail man.......where was all the gun violence?

Quote Originally Posted by red442joe View Post
    22LR and 22WRM are both 24k psi.

Joe
    I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.
    For some reason I have in my head the long rifle was 2k psi less.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray