Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bought mine in 2012. Haven't really shot it all that much. Guess I'll order a gauge. I have feeler gauges, but I doubt any would fit that bolt cut out.

https://store.smith-wesson.com/m-p-1...spection-gauge
    Last edited by DEVIL DOG; 03-11-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member

M&P 15-22 Safety Alert

Thanks, read about this on Arfcom and sent away for the gauge.
    NRA Life Member + RSO
    OCSC Member (full)
    HGC Member (associate)

MGO Board of Directors

Threads merged.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

I got a response from S&W today…they deferred me to their online store, where they want a S/N of the M&P 15-22 that I own…so that the government can demand their databases and be able to track down who owns what...

https://store.smith-wesson.com/m-p-1...spection-gauge

I'm leaning toward just shipping in the bolt since I'm already 99.9999% sure it isn't to spec.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Any updates?

Just picked up my M&P 15-22 today!

I got the gauge & mine is within spec. If anyone would rather not give up their serial #, I'll mail you mine.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    22LR chamber specs according to SAAMI give the chamber headspace (cartridge rim allowance) measurement as 0.043" min with 0.051" as max.
    I would be personally fairly confident that a bolt face cut out measuring .045" - .051" as having plenty of room for the cartridge rim which according to SAAMI should be 0.043" with a minus tolerance of 0.007"
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    My breech face counterbore is .041"…
    OK, what S&W is sending out is a feeler gage that is .0353" thick (in my case anyway)…

Of course, being that my breach face c'bore is .041" deep, the .0353" feeler gage sits below that surface and, as such, "passes"…

Are they THAT stupid???
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    I got the gauge & mine is within spec. If anyone would rather not give up their serial #, I'll mail you mine.
    Sending you a PM now. Just became aware of this issue, my 15-22 has a few thousand rounds through it with zero issues but I love that rifle and I'd hate to have it go full auto on me or someone else.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    Sending you a PM now. Just became aware of this issue, my 15-22 has a few thousand rounds through it with zero issues but I love that rifle and I'd hate to have it go full auto on me or someone else.
    If Ol` Joe's specs are correct, what S&W is sending out is a worthless piece of scrap metal!

The cartridge rim is .043" with a unilateral tolerance (meaning the preference is to manufacture ALL cartridges to .043") of minus .007", so .043 optimal, as low as .036 acceptable.

The feeler gage is .0353, so ANY .22 ammo manufactured to spec will NOT sit below the recess, rather the rim will be crushed upon the bolt face closing.
    Get ANY amount of debris in the bolt face c'bore and the pinch gets even worse!

Unless it is somehow standard practice to have a bolt face c'bore shallower than the thickness of the ammo's rim…me thinks S&W needs some sharper engineers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12