Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Flying with Firearms - Rules / Process Change?

Have done what seems like 100 times before, however this time was different.

In the past (Delta, America, SWA, United)
    Check in, get boarding pass, blah blah blah. Inform them "I'm traveling with firearms", which they they have me sign the obligatory unloaded firearms declaration form, etc. Then, once complete with paperwork, checking in, etc. take my bag to [whatever_____] area for one of the TSA "officials" people to do a visual inspection, then have me lock the case, it and away it goes, into checked luggage land. Once at my destination, (at least with Delta over the lats year or two ((since that shtbag in the Florida baggage claim area)) I have to pick up my bag at the baggage claim office, versus off the carousel.

I flew Alaska Airlines recently and the process went like this:
    "Hi, checking in, and I'm flying with firearms"
    OK, please sign here, [unloaded declaration] thanks, etc.
    Put the typical luggage tag on my bag like any other checked, and away it goes.
    I pause and ask "aren't I supposed to take it to TSA for inspection?"
    "Nope! You're all good Sir, Have a nice flight"
    OK, thank you?
    Bag came off the carousel like normal at the destination.

Did something change, or did I just get used to how Delta was doing it and flying them pretty regular? Or, is Alaska doing it differently / new rule change or something?

I am a Forum User
    What you described at the end is how it's
    been every time for me (swa). Regular carousel, etc. It's not supposed to be tagged or treated any differently after the declaration and check in.

Once or twice I've been called to unlock it so tsa can see that its unloaded (which should have been obvious on xray), but that's it.

Airlines are different. I flew Delta last fall and had to do the baggage office pickup. I have been used to flying Southwest and occasionally American and picking up at the carousel The Delta routine caught me off guard and cost me some time at MSP and coming back to GRR. Sigh.

MGO Member
    I flew delta last year, had to use the baggage office round trip. they took the bag at the counter, I didn't have to see the TSA.
    they also attached zip ties to my case.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Hmmm.... Maybe I had just gotten used to the Delta routine as that's who I fly most often.

It was almost painless with Alaska.

Thanks all for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ0865 View Post
    they also attached zip ties to my case.

Right! I forgot about the zip ties. Extra large and extra thick. I don't know how they expect you to open your suitcase with those babies on and my Benchmade was in the lock box with my gun. But I fooled them..... I had my tools in the other suitcase and cut the ties with my wire cutter!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pond Scum View Post
    Right! I forgot about the zip ties. Extra large and extra thick. I don't know how they expect you to open your suitcase with those babies on and my Benchmade was in the lock box with my gun. But I fooled them..... I had my tools in the other suitcase and cut the ties with my wire cutter!
    When I flew to Las Vegas the zip ties fell off by themselves, I'm thinking too much friction with the floor while walking across the terminal.
    I also had small wire cutters in my carry on to cut these if needed.