Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Suppressor covers

Just curious of what suppressors covers people are using, store bought or homemade. I am pretty new to the suppressor world and by doing a internet search they look to be anywhere $60 - $100. Seems a little steep for just a cover, but I have no experience with them.

The first few range trips the suppressor didn't get to hot so I wasn't to concerned about a cover but last time I went it got really hot! (few hundred rounds with some faster rate of fire)

I saw a home made one that looked really good. Inner lining was a Oatey heat shield pad from home depot covered in canvas. Guy probably had $15 in it and a little time doing his best Betsy Ross imitation. So far I've been just letting them cool down to keep them from melting the foam in the gun case. Figure the barrel is almost as hot at that point also.

I am a Forum User
    Not a cover, but I ordered a pair of these on a whim. They just arrived a couple of days ago and I've been playing with them. They're very light duty, but they make me chuckle so I have no regrets. I'll probably end up keeping them in the kitchen and not the range case.

Instead, I've been thinking about getting silicone oven grippers like these for the range. They make them in some funny shapes (crab claws, pac-man, dog snouts, etc) so I might look around for one that tickles my funny bone.

Keep in mind that a cover insulates the can causing it to retain heat longer.

Unless you are fighting a mirage, then I find it better to let it cool uncovered.

That said, I keep an oven mitt handy for handling hot cans. They tend to cool better off the barrel, if possible.

I am a Forum User
    I run coletac supressor covers (very well made). I also really like the heatproof cases for putting a hot can in after shooting to transport it.

I am a Forum User
    Coletac and rifles only

I am a Forum User
    I run these from Burnproof Gear:
    https://www.burnproofgear.com/

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Do not run a suppressor with a cover on it unless you are fighting mirage on a target rifle. As previously stated, you can seriously damage a can by holding the heat in (not to mention melting the cover during rapid shooting).

Got that straight from John Hollister, a legend in the business.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    No experience with suppressors, but hot mill gloves made from woven Nomex with wool felt liners are great for handling red hot machine gun barrels. The 'hot mill' refers to steel hot rolling mills where workers frequently have to handle scraps and samples which are red hot. Most industrial glove suppliers carry these gloves at reasonable prices, under $ 20 a pair.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Do not run a suppressor with a cover on it unless you are fighting mirage on a target rifle. As previously stated, you can seriously damage a can by holding the heat in (not to mention melting the cover during rapid shooting).
    Id rather damage a silencer than my hand or leg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast