Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SKS project- bent barrel.

20190312_065737.jpg

I just acquired an SKS in tough shape. I have had an unissued Yugo 59/66A1 in the past that was a bunch of fun so when I got the opportunity to buy this one for $20 I couldn't pass it up. It is Chinese according to the import stamp. It is badly rusted as far as the piston, piston extension, and bolt. It is missing all the wood, but the cross bolt was still with the gun. I have been using electrolysis to get the rusted pieces apart and now have the rear sight slid forward and the barrel out of the pinned only receiver. Pretty exciting stuff for a first time.

My biggest concern is the bent barrel. It likely has an 1/8" of bend from the middle to the end. I would like to replace it if possible. The thing I don't know is if the new barrel comes drilled to accept the new pins and associated parts. Not sure I want to take a new blank and have the chore of drilling everything including the gas port.

Also, have you ever seen a blued bolt carrier on an SKS? I doubt this is a misstamped Egyption.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

did the elctrolysis work well ?

I do not have much to ad, nothing every broke on my norinco, beast had it since i was 14 ish 1992 ish.

you can still get new old stock sks barrels for $60 bucks so thats what I would do, not sure how hard it is to install.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    did the elctrolysis work well ?

I do not have much to ad, nothing every broke on my norinco, beast had it since i was 14 ish 1992 ish.

you can still get new old stock sks barrels for $60 bucks so thats what I would do, not sure how hard it is to install.
    Electrolysis works super. Every pin cam out easily and I stripped the extremely rusted bolt.

I have a 5 gallon bucket electrolysis tank set up full time for this or that.

I am a Forum User
    I'll point out that after any modifications of an SKS most folks have a hard time ensuring they are Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922(r) compliant.

I have no idea how much actual enforcement is done but you are technically required to comply.
    Here is a link to probably the best explanation I've seen.

https://www.tapco.com/section922r/

While the risks are likely low, the consequences could be high.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I'll point out that after any modifications of an SKS most folks have a hard time ensuring they are Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 922(r) compliant.

I have no idea how much actual enforcement is done but you are technically required to comply.
    Here is a link to probably the best explanation I've seen.

https://www.tapco.com/section922r/

While the risks are likely low, the consequences could be high.
    I never modded a gun that was subject to a 922 with factory parts being put back on.

Anything he needs is easily found, there is no legal issue putting on original take off parts, is there?

I would want to follow the law, but many surplus sks came in with no matching series or force matched.

Ok, I bent the barrel back. Piece of cake with my 20 ton press.

Now next thing. The springs are wonky. I wonder if this could have seen a fire.

The recoil spring is compressed tight. It should give a good amount of tension so it may be compressed. The spring in the sight block, maybe piston spring? Has no spring to it. It is a wire wrapped spring. It is really rusty and when I pulled on it no spring return was present. Also, the trigger spring is compressed so the trigger group doesnt work.

Thoughts?

I suspect the same thing if only one of the springs was dead, didn't come with wood and was rusty. Guys usually have a hard time machining them to fit AK mags because how hard the receiver is. Will a file easily bite into a sheltered area or skate across it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I suspect the same thing if only one of the springs was dead, didn't come with wood and was rusty. Guys usually have a hard time machining them to fit AK mags because how hard the receiver is. Will a file easily bite into a sheltered area or skate across it?
    Pretty easy to file. She is toasted.

Make a pistol caliber carbine out of it.

Interesting idea, but I am not that into it. I think it will learn what I can about this one and then paperweight or display gun it if i come across a stock for almost free. Bummer. Thanks for the file tip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast