Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    See, and I would have found it sad that a guy that age still needs to be working. And if he doesn't need to be, shame on him for taking a management job from a younger, needier employee. YMMV
    It is sad if he needs to work. I'm sure he isn't at Walmart because it's a fine hobby. Because of a misplaced loyalty to my employer, and their untimely bankruptcy, I have to work until I'm dead. But, fortunately, that shouldn't be too long. I am rapidly assuring a tech position will open up for a well deserving youngster.

If he doesn't need to work, or if he does, it's really no one's business but his.

I'm sure he didn't hire directly into a Dept. Manager position. He probably stole that job from a younger, needier person by such underhanded methods as showing up on time every day, working hard, taking initiative, being valuable, taking care of customers, and being Team oriented. The dirty SoB!

Every couple of months at work we hire a handful of people. We hire, because every couple months we fire a handful of people. Most of those hired and fired are under the age of 30. Those fired were let go because they couldn't follow simple rules, couldn't show up to work on a regular basis, couldn't be troubled to put the cell phone down for more than a few minutes, and were frequent whiners of a derivative of, "I'm not paid enough to do this!"

During the recent massive layoffs the involuntary separations were largely young people of this ilk. The voluntary separations were old duffers who have left a noticeable void. Because of my health, I have missed a tremendous amount of work. I was a logical choice to let go. But, my Global Manager made the decision that I should remain because when I am at work I show up early, work through my lunch, stay late, and strive to do all I can to complete my work on time. In a single 8 hour shift I can usually generate twice the work of my much younger Team members. It was once observed, "Someone please explain to me why that chubby, old, crippled guy on the off shift can generate twice the output as the young marathon runner on days?"

Positions are largely earned, Sir, and if someone were 'needier' then they should work harder. I have a family to support, so I make damn sure the younger guys do not become more valuable than me. I earned my position, and continue to do so every day. Until proven otherwise, I will assume the gentleman at Walmart does the same.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the topic, but we can certainly run with it.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

See, and I would have found it sad that a guy that age still needs to be working. And if he doesn't need to be, shame on him for taking a management job from a younger, needier employee. YMMV
    who knows what he did or did not do. Could have gambled a bunch of savings away 20 years ago, spent age 25-50 in prison, who knows.

If he can do the job, likes it to a degree good for him. They clearly want him.

Late 60s is not that old, thats the new normal, even for people that do well.

I know people who made a lot of money in sales, and stock brokers who worked till their 80s.

I know a guy who made a lot of money as a stockbroker, he told me about 5 years ago, mid 80s as long as the money is that good, the work is that easy, he cant say no.

I my old neighbor sold commercial real estate into his 80s, his office is full of awards going back to the 1960s! He would drive 30-40k miles per year.

Both those guys were lebanese, one first gen, one immigrant. Both had a of money, both came here pretty modest died rich, family did well as a whole, kids all successful, grandkids went to top schools etc.

I just dont think there is anything wrong with it.

Just remembered my orthodontist was old when I first went there in 1993/1994. His kid is 50. He just retired. He owned his building, probably 1.5-2.0 mill property, big house, I know where he lives, 750k, drove SL 500 and s600 benz since early 90s. I bet he was worth over 6 million, maybe 10 mill. He just retired a few years ago, maybe 3-4 years ago.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Every couple of months at work we hire a handful of people. We hire, because every couple months we fire a handful of people. Most of those hired and fired are under the age of 30. Those fired were let go because they couldn't follow simple rules, couldn't show up to work on a regular basis, couldn't be troubled to put the cell phone down for more than a few minutes, and were frequent whiners of a derivative of, "I'm not paid enough to do this!"
    The other day I was told that my old location had just terminated one employee for attendance reasons, and was losing another tomorrow for the same. I was about to ask how they managed to keep her actually working for her last few days when I got a quick message telling me that she didn't yet know she was being let go so don't say anything to anybody. I'm at a new place and looked through the employee logs. It's amazing how many don't even make it through the first couple of days (and it's all reading and videos for the first week or so).

Meanwhile, just showing up most of the time and getting your job mostly done is enough to get you looked at for management potential. Get your job done a little early and help others once in a while, and people gush over your performance.

I know I don't get paid enough for my job either, but I still do it and ask for overtime while I'm still eligible.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    The other day I was told that my old location had just terminated one employee for attendance reasons, and was losing another tomorrow for the same. I was about to ask how they managed to keep her actually working for her last few days when I got a quick message telling me that she didn't yet know she was being let go so don't say anything to anybody. I'm at a new place and looked through the employee logs. It's amazing how many don't even make it through the first couple of days (and it's all reading and videos for the first week or so).

Meanwhile, just showing up most of the time and getting your job mostly done is enough to get you looked at for management potential. Get your job done a little early and help others once in a while, and people gush over your performance.

I know I don't get paid enough for my job either, but I still do it and ask for overtime while I'm still eligible.
    what industry ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Just remembered my orthodontist was old when I first went there in 1993/1994. His kid is 50. He just retired. He owned his building, probably 1.5-2.0 mill property, big house, I know where he lives, 750k, drove SL 500 and s600 benz since early 90s. I bet he was worth over 6 million, maybe 10 mill. He just retired a few years ago, maybe 3-4 years ago.
    and God know how many people are STILL paying on their kids braces...

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post

I'm sure he didn't hire directly into a Dept. Manager position. He probably stole that job from a younger, needier person by such underhanded methods as showing up on time every day, working hard, taking initiative, being valuable, taking care of customers, and being Team oriented. The dirty SoB!

During the recent massive layoffs the involuntary separations were largely young people of this ilk. The voluntary separations were old duffers who have left a noticeable void. Because of my health, I have missed a tremendous amount of work. I was a logical choice to let go. But, my Global Manager made the decision that I should remain because when I am at work I show up early, work through my lunch, stay late, and strive to do all I can to complete my work on time. In a single 8 hour shift I can usually generate twice the work of my much younger Team members. It was once observed, "Someone please explain to me why that chubby, old, crippled guy on the off shift can generate twice the output as the young marathon runner on days?"
    Please be gentle with the young uns. Their life is more stressful than ever before.

Stress Mess: 3 In 5 Millennials Say Life More Stressful Now Than Ever Before https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-mi...n-ever-before/
    Last edited by Imshootin; 03-19-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

and God know how many people are STILL paying on their kids braces...
    LOL right.

He was modest priced. Good guy, well known on east side burbs.

My point though was guys with resources who did it all right often work late, so who knows, small town guy, maybe his house is paid off which is good, no savings really, and he gets SS. This is wise of him to work. Good guy who things just never really worked out the best for him. All things considered sports islse in walmart in small town not the worst job.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    What always blows my mind about leaving the city and going into the country - walk into a Taco Bell.
    That hasn't been my experience for some time. It seems that the food service industry is unreliable. While there are exceptions, I think they are getting worse.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User
    If you went into north into town from I-94 you passed the Van Buren County Jail where a former forum user resided for a spell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast