Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Firing pin stop very loose - RIA 1911 10mm

My 'Big Rock' is cerakoted Bazooka Green. Tonight I was polishing some of the action and areas that had clear sign of friction on the cerakote. I also polished some of the barrel and the backside of the firing pin stop because I wanted to take off the coating to get good, flush metal-to-metal contact.

Well, I took off all the coating and now the stop no longer fits snug in its slot. It literally falls right out if not for the tension from the firing pin spring.

Do I need to order a new stop before shooting this gun again?

Probably be best but the FP itself protruding thru stop should hold the stop in place unless its 'clocking' (trying to turn side-to-side) and affects the extractor function.

I would change it and it is not too hard at all to fit another one if it needs fitting - just make sure the hammer face strikes the new stop flush or even rather a bit higher above center of stop than lower. A thicker stop will fill the slots in the slide more tightly at any rate.

(You could 'peen' the rear side of the stop to tighten it but it would not be the best thing to do. RI would probably send you one or take the gun back and do it for free)

I am a Forum User
    Thanks very much PeeDee

First, no, you can continue to run the gun. It will be held in by the firing pin as there's really nowhere for it to go in normal operation.

As for the stop, you should replace it. I would highly recommend the Harrison Design Firing Pin Stop as it is a "file to fit" piece. I have them on all my 1911's. It's a cheap upgrade and each one is fit to the specific gun.

I am a Forum User
    I'll check them out, bae.

I am a Forum User
    Firing pin stops are very easy to fit.