Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Do you compromise?

Like many of us, I have owned, shot and carried most every type of popular handgun in pursuit of the perfect concealed handgun. Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Walther, Ruger, compacts, sub-compacts, revolvers, semi-autos, striker, DAO, DA/SA, SAO etc. Needless to say, I'm not sure I've found it yet or ever will, really. My dilemma always seems to be comfort/weight vs shootability vs capacity.

I shoot most any type of handgun relatively well at self defense distances, but I shoot SAO, or more specifically, the 1911 platform much better than the others. However, I do not love carrying a 1911. The heavy-ish weight and capacity limitations involved always have me looking for the next best thing. I currently carry a Colt Defender in 9mm because it's a compromise in weight, capacity and (mostly) because I shoot it very well.

Do you sacrifice your most accurate platform to carry something lighter or more comfortable, do you sacrifice comfort/ concealablity for the most accuracy possible? Or, do you not have to compromise and/or have found your perfect combination?

I’ve gone from carrying my biggest guns (P229 Legion, Glock 21) to carrying my smallest (Shield/M&P340) and everything in between but have seemed to settle on my P365 as my carry choice in just about all situations any more. Holds 11 or 13 rounds (plus a spare 12rd mag), is as small and concealable as my Shield/G43, has excellent sights and trigger, and I feel pretty comfortable with how it shoots (10yd target below). Do I have more accurate guns? Sure, but the difference at SD distances I think is negligible.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

I have been eyeing some much smaller .380 and single stack 9, kahr ct380 and sign p238 or p938.

I used to want more capacity back in the day but most got past that mentally. That's the hurdle, telling yourself 7+1 380 is enough, that and fitting my mitts on the tiny grips.

I guess it's all compromise, NO single firearm is perfect is all situations. The gun is not as important as practice/familiarity. YMMV and to each his own opinions! Also I shoot my 5" 1911 better than anything except maybe my 6" S&W 15 target pistol. Neither in my mind is a concealed carry option, both are too heavy and bulky.

I've carried/owned a lot of pieces over the years, Taurus 709, PPS M1 & M2, Shield 45 & 9mm, Sig 238, SW642, LCR357, Glock 19, 43,
    etc.. my current for a while now is a LCP 380 Custom and occasionally a LCRx snubby, both mostly IWB 4 o'clock or so - Hank's 1.5" gun belt. Pocket carry the LCP in a sticky holster in the summer. I carry one extra mag for the LCP or 2-5rd Strips for the snubby. That is enough lead to put down range to let me cover an exit from the situation, not trying to get in a fire fight. For me it comes down to comfort. I don't have big hips/ass so too much weight, on the belt and in the pockets, makes my pants ride down continually. I also sit a fair number of hours in cars or computer rooms, so I don't want to feel the carry piece. Don't even want to know it's there. If it's comfortable, you will be more likely to carry it more often. I like the snubby in the winter when I have a lot of clothes/coat on, easier to get your hands on and it's more reliable just stuck in your pocket if you have to shoot it from there. That is another compromise in my opinion as I really prefer - no make that love my LCP 380 Custom. It's been my favorite for a while now, but in big pockets or under winter coats, the snubby feels more practical.

Much more important than what I carry, I think, is that I shoot my carry pieces (both the LCP & a LCRx Snubby) 50rds or so, every time I go to the range. Do a set of draw/fire drills @ 10' & 21'. My criteria is a full mag/cylinder in D/A into a 8" paper plate. I practice to get a reload every time in approx 10 seconds for the snubby. If I can put all the rounds in the plate, every time, I am Minute-of-Bad guy good enough.

Also I don't practice with carry ammo either, 158gr SWC coated lead over 3.4gr of bullseye reloads in the LCRx and 95gr CPRN over 3.9gr of CFE reloads in the 380. I carry 90gr Critical Defense in the 380 & 125gr+P Silvertips in the LCRx. It's just to expensive to shoot those carry rounds for practice - if I did I couldn't afford to shoot/practice often enough - figure more practice is better in the long run. Even it's not perfect. I've shot enough of the defense rounds to know there is really no POA difference and in a carry gun under 21' it really doesn't make a difference! I shoot maybe one mag/strip of defense ammo every month. Say 50-75 rds of each a year. Just keeps it fresh, anymore would be very pricey. Don't like reloads for defense ammo, use factory stuff for that.
    Last edited by Mkc451; 03-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    I guess it's all compromise, NO single firearm is perfect is all situations. The gun is not as important as practice/familiarity. YMMV and to each his own opinions!.....
    Very well said.

We all make compromises in life and that includes carrying. There have been times when my primary carry(full size HK VP9 w/TRL1HL light) has been too much for the situation and I thus had to compromise with something smaller, like a little .380. Ideal? No, but it still beats throwing random objects, like my coffee cup, at an assailant.

Familiarity and practice with the guns you carry is key.

I carry a G26 or G43 in the same DeSantis leather speed scabbard that keeps the butts tucked in.
    If I have the G43, I'll take an extra mag.
    Depending on where I'm going, I may take a mag for the G26.

Myk
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    I compromise most of the time. I would carry a g19 all the time if not for thickness and weight. I compromise with a G26 about 70% of the time owb. Weight is reasonable and it's relatively easy to conceal with untucked shirt. I carry a p365 when I really want to go light and small particularly with a tucked shirt. The biggest issue with the 365 is no place to get support hand contact on the frame. I find both these options are capable of very good accuracy at distance when I do my part. 10 rounds meets my perceived need. I am contemplating a G48 for more grip area and longer sight radius while maintaining the 10 rounds, thinner, lighter and a good hand fit. The grip length often isn't an issue. That just leaves a reduced capacity vs. G19, and I don't see that as a big compromise.

I've tried them all too.
    Either too heavy and weighting down my pants, or to bulky at the 3 or 4 position having the grip print.

I settled on a Ruger Lcrx .357 with a sticky holster.
    Slides into my front pocket, no print and plenty of firepower.

Winter carry is a P-229 .357 Sig in a shoulder holster. I wear a light vest and it's totally conceled.

My preferred carry weapon is either a 1911 in .45 ACP, or my Sig 226 in 9mm.

But, sometimes I have to downsize to my SigP238 for increased concealability.

Depending on how my arthritis is acting, sometimes I just can't handle the larger guns and their recoil. Currently, recovering from a shoulder replacement and some other health issues, I am resigned to either a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger MK-IV in .22 LR

I know, a .22 is a poor choice, but it's better than nothing which is my current other option.

Depending on circumstances, I absolutely compromise.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Banned
    Carry the largest capacity gun you comfortably can and will actually carry whenever you can. Then there is no compromise because if you went any bigger you know you wouldn't carry it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast