Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

H&R 1873 Trapdoor 45-70 collectability

I've come across a couple H&R 1873 Trapdoors at gun shows and estate sales and wondered if there is still a market for these guns, as far as collectability is concerned. I really like the old style rifles, especially the single shots. I know they had issues with the breech door flying open sometimes due to cam latch setup, but after a slight fix, they are good to go. Are they still a collectable rifle or has the market slowed? Just curious about what to pay, I don't want to overpay.

I've never heard of anyone collecting H&R trapdoor rifles. Usually, they are used for cowboy action or reenactments. You can get an original for less money and just shoot it. The original will probably increase in value faster than a new one.

I am a Forum User
    I guess "collectability" wasn't such a good word. But, for someone that can't afford a real one, is a used H&R 1873 a good shootable replacement? What is a good price to pay for a nice used one? I've seen a couple Officer models and liked the look of those.