Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: EXTRACTOR

EXTRACTOR

Have a new Ruger American Bolt action in 17 HMR. Less than 100 rounds through it up till today. Wanted to run another 50 but got held up cause it wont eject the spent shell. Not every time. irregular. Bolt runs ok, extractor looks ok to me. No experience with bolt guns. Could I be doing something wrong? New Hornady Ammo. Had to take my knife & flip the empty case out of the receiver.

This thing shoots crazy.20 rounds in the 10 ring at 25 yards
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

MGO Member
    Disassemble the bolt, clean and oil it very lightly, and see if that solves your problem. New guns often have some left-over "gunk" from the manufacturing process that gums up the works.

I had a brand new S&W revolver that completely seized up on the 3rd shot. Took it apart and found metal shavings in the lockwork.
    "I'm good to go, even if I'm not going anywhere."

MGO Member
    Try using a .17 caliber chamber brush or a boresnake to clean the neck of the chamber. My .17HM2 and my .17HMR get a little sticky after 1 or 2 boxes of ammo.

Thanks, I did clean it real good with a brush & then used a snake on it. The extractor does a very delicate dance pulling out that spent casing. Only the 2nd time shooting it. May have some residual oil left from the factory, that can cause the shell to stick too. It's dry now, hope to shoot it again soon.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Ruger extractors suck, wonder if Volquartsen makes one for it?
    Active airport shooter