Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

New to Michigan from South Carolina

I just moved to the Walled Lake area late last summer from South Carolina. We don't have much public land to hunt anywhere near where I am from, so I grew up hunting on family friend's private property in exchange for doing work on or around the house. Does anyone have any general suggestions on how to hunt deer and turkey up here?

I went out a couple times last year but my inexperience with patterning deer was evident (I always hunted bait and planted fields). I also had a hard time getting away from hikers, bikers and people talking on their cell phone whilst bushwhacking (for some unknown reason) through the woods in Proud Lake and near the Waterloo State Recreation Area.

Hello and Welcome

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by pelion64 View Post
    Does anyone have any general suggestions on how to hunt deer and turkey up here?

I went out a couple times last year but my inexperience with patterning deer was evident (I always hunted bait and planted fields).
    Welcome to Michigan!

The best way to pattern deer is to do it before the season. Go out "hunting" but without the firearm or bow. Watch. Move the next day. Watch some more. Your observations will guide you to the best spots. Trail cameras can help too!

As far as getting away from people... Michigan has thousands of acres in which you can hunt and never see a hiker.
    Between the state land and the federal land, you will never see it all. It's all a drive for you though, but in a just a couple of hours you can be where everyone else isn't.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User

New to Michigan from South Carolina

Welcome. I assume your decision to move here was based on our fivne spring weather.

The state land and State Game areas in SE Michigan get pounded pretty good with hunters. I've not had much luck hunting it. There is a DNR program called "Hunter Access Program" which provides hunting access on designated private lands throughout the state's upper and lower peninsulas (in exchange the owner gets a tax break). I've had decent success in the past on one of those parcels. You can search all available HAP lands here....
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...061---,00.html

If you want to improve your odds and experience less pressure and better terrain (imo), head up north to one of the national forests
    Good luck.

I am a Forum User
    Southeast Michigan state land is busy during firearm deer season. Either hunt other species, or go north.