Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

DIY stippling (Woodburner vs. Soldering Iron)

Looking to stipple my G19. Have watched several videos on the process but haven't seen any specific info on woodburners vs. soldering irons. Also wondering what brand/tips you guys have preffered. Thanks in advcance!

Marketplace Moderator
    I stipple my own stuff. Electronics soldering pencil for everything. It comes with a sharp point. I have 2. One I ground down the tip and rounded it off. Both tools give a different tecture. I find mine at estate sales for a buck or 2.
    Good Shooting, MOOSE

I am a Forum User
    I'm 95% sure that a wood burner is just a soldering iron. Obviously the tips that people use for burning arent the same tips they necessarily use for soldering. An adjustable temperature soldering iron with removable tips would probably be ideal. I've never stippled, but ive done lots of soldering, and a little wood burning.

I am a Forum User
    My wood burner has a temperature control knob, soldering iron not so.

Solder iron with adjustable temp would be my choice.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Another one bites the dust. Save the glock foundation will hear about this.
    Last edited by JohnJak; 04-02-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Have you tried any of the rubber slip on grip sleeves ?

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

if you intend to use it a lot, i would go with a temp-adjustable soldering station rather than a single or dual wattage soldering iron. I know radioshack used to clearance them out for $20 now and again (though the dual watt irons would be like $5). Mine have done everything from stained glass to video game hacking to med research
    No sense in using more heat than you need to do the job - you just increase your risk of burning your stuff.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Harbor Freight wood burner kit with coupon FTMFW! I've done several. Top notch tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    if you intend to use it a lot, i would go with a temp-adjustable soldering station rather than a single or dual wattage soldering iron. I know radioshack used to clearance them out for $20 now and again (though the dual watt irons would be like $5). Mine have done everything from stained glass to video game hacking to med research
    No sense in using more heat than you need to do the job - you just increase your risk of burning your stuff.
    gotta ask, med research ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast