Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

AR-10 for hunting whitetails

Looking for opinions on buying/building an AR 10 for deer hunting.

my thoughts

Pros- Semi Auto, 2 point sling is more comfortable and quicker access than traditional rifle sling while stalking, max ammo capacity

Cons- Decreased accuracy compared to bolt action rifle, Increased weight

What is your setup if you use one?

Thanks

I am a Forum User
    An AR10 can be VERY accurate.

I coyote hunt with an AR10 in 243. If I was gonna deer hunt with an AR10, Id use a 338 federal, 358 winchester, or 45 raptor. I currently use a 450 bushmaster AR15.

I have a magpul sling that can switch between a one point sling and a two point sling.

There are no down sides as far as I figure. Only problem is hunting with it below the shotgun line. I use a .450 BM here and love it. Like stated above, the sling situation is a big reason.
    Last edited by oldmann1967; 03-31-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Ammo capacity's not going to be a major improvement over most bolt actions because the state limits you to 5+1 rounds when hunting with a centerfire semi-auto.

Posted from mobile, please excuse typos.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bcopple1 View Post
    Looking for opinions on buying/building an AR 10 for deer hunting.

my thoughts

Pros- Semi Auto, 2 point sling is more comfortable and quicker access than traditional rifle sling while stalking, max ammo capacity

Cons- Decreased accuracy compared to bolt action rifle, Increased weight

What is your setup if you use one?

Thanks
    I hunt deer with my LR308 that I built a .45 Raptor upper for.

I hunt from a blind so have no issue with weight at all, and since I can't use a necked case where I hunt, accuracy is great out to 300 with my Raptor, and that's all I need.

I am a Forum User
    You should check out the 300 blackout round, It's not the ballistics of .308 but still 30 cal and runs on a AR15 platform. I been hunting with one for the last three years. I shoot the Remington hog hammer and it seems very effective with the last deer I shot.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by december1979 View Post
    You should check out the 300 blackout round, It's not the ballistics of .308 but still 30 cal and runs on a AR15 platform. I been hunting with one for the last three years. I shoot the Remington hog hammer and it seems very effective with the last deer I shot.
    If you're taking 7.62x51 type .308, the 300BO is no where near close to that in any way other then diameter. It is much closer to 7.62x39 (as it was designed to be). Yes there are a couple rounds that are not bad for hunting, but if going to the AR-10/LR-308 platform, it would be a waste.

Weight is the only real downside for me. I hunt in the Limited Zone with a 44x1.8" LR308 pattern rifle, but also have a 308 upper for it. They can easily be sub MOA without too much effort which isn't required for minute of deer. If you're putting one together really watch the handguard weight. My first handguard I bought was a DPMS Mid-length free float handguard that is 23 ounces. Replaced it with one that was 11.5 ounces which really helped. Stuck the DPMS handguard (the 23oz one) on the 308 upper since it basically only ever gets shot at the range.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    If you're taking 7.62x51 type .308, the 300BO is no where near close to that in any way other then diameter. It is much closer to 7.62x39 (as it was designed to be). Yes there are a couple rounds that are not bad for hunting, but if going to the AR-10/LR-308 platform, it would be a waste.
    Maybe I don't understand the last part of your post but I was suggesting the 300 BO in the AR15 platform, pretty sure its impossible to chamber the 300 BO in the AR10 platform.

I also mentioned that the 300 BO was not the ballistics of the .308 (yes I meant the 7.62 x 51 type). My opinion of 'close' differs from yours with 300 BO vs .308 Win. They both are a 30 cal rifle round with a difference of 435 FPS when compared to the common grain weight of the two. I understand the .308 Win. is more powerful and has alot more capabilities.

300 BO 125gn. 2,215 ft/s - 1,360 ft⋅lbs

.308 Win 168gn. 2,650 ft/s - 2,700 ft⋅lbs