Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1958 View Post
    Fair comments... [Devil's Advocate] Is a scope a requirements at even extended battlefield ranges, (say 2-300 yards)? [/Devil's Advocate]
    Not if its a battlefield and you are 18-20 with great eyes and free ammo.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Not if its a battlefield and you are 18-20 with great eyes and free ammo.
    I'm starting to like you...

No... We will not be getting a room...

With my glasses I'll shoot my L1A1 over iron sights pretty well... Well enough to scare someone away if I'm not hitting them even out at 300ish... But _if I had_ any scoped weapons they would all be set to shoot with no visual correction... because the first thing to be lost will be my glasses... Murphy said so and I believe him...

Quote Originally Posted by AM1958 View Post
    I'm starting to like you...

No... We will not be getting a room...

With my glasses I'll shoot my L1A1 over iron sights pretty well... Well enough to scare someone away if I'm not hitting them even out at 300ish... But _if I had_ any scoped weapons they would all be set to shoot with no visual correction... because the first thing to be lost will be my glasses... Murphy said so and I believe him...
    Yeah I can shoot my fal or dads ptr prettty well out to local range distances with my glasses on.

I would do ok with no glasses, just lose some clarity im not blind, I dont even really need them.

Best would be ar10 with nice scope, and I say that as a guy with a FAL clone.

I have been thinking of putting the dsa dust cover with rail on my fal and slap a scope on it. I could use it as is to intended effect well enough for fun or serious SHTF.

I am a Forum User
    I have a rail on a dustcover for my L1A1 but it swapped it out for an original dustcover. I also have the dustcover with the mount for the SUIT, (Sight Unit Infantry Trilux), sight we were issued when I was in the military and have the sight too. In fact I have everything to make it original to what I carried including the green sling and bayonet..

Sent my rifle back to PTR to get looked over, turns out it had some chips missing out of the bolt [how I missed those I don't know]. Got the rifle back back and went for testing tonight, there was still a lot of jamming, more than before in fact. Then I thought to myself the thing I've heard so many times "on a magazine fed semiauto the magazine is the source of most stoppages." So I swapped my steel mag for the hideous aluminum waffle mag that came with the rifle and no more issues. I had a lot of previous issues with the German waffle in the past but now that seems to be the good mag.

I wonder if there is any fixing the steel one?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    Sent my rifle back to PTR to get looked over, turns out it had some chips missing out of the bolt [how I missed those I don't know]. Got the rifle back back and went for testing tonight, there was still a lot of jamming, more than before in fact. Then I thought to myself the thing I've heard so many times "on a magazine fed semiauto the magazine is the source of most stoppages." So I swapped my steel mag for the hideous aluminum waffle mag that came with the rifle and no more issues. I had a lot of previous issues with the German waffle in the past but now that seems to be the good mag.

I wonder if there is any fixing the steel one?
    Carefully compare the geometry of the feed lip areas of the two magazines. Any obvious differences?

Then swap the magazines' springs and followers. Clean and lightly oil their interiors. Do a reshoot. Does the steel mag with the aluminum mag guts perform now? Is the aluminum mag now misbehaving with the steel mag's guts?

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    When I was looking into buying a "scary black rifle" shortly after the Pulse shooting I was waffling between an FAL and a PTR91. Aside from the $400 price difference I was also impressed by the HK91s reliability being close to the mythical AK47 in it's ability to run pretty much in any state of dirtiness and dryness.

Mine... Not so much. With Winchester Super-X ammo it routinely gets empty cases lodged head-first in the gas tube, as well as occasionally just mangling a round to the point the bullet is bent at a 45 degree angle since it presumably missed the chamber[?] With Tula and Wolf sometimes it won't go fully into battery or just not set off rounds when I pull the trigger. I think about the only thing so far I tried that ran alright was ZQI but I'm not the hugest fan or Turkey so I prefer not buying Turkish ammo. I sadly don't shoot that much, so I'd say that with Tula or Wolf it goes at most 300 rounds/6 months before I have to field strip and clean it to get it to stop choking at least once a magazine.

I'm mostly asking for information if this is "normal" in real life for PTRs, if anyone knows of range ammo that might run better, if PTR will honor their warranty beyond the 1 year guaranteed, or other things like that. This was my first [and at least for the moment, only] rifle and my third gun so it has a place in my heart. I want it to run well and be a trustworthy companion which for the time I've had it it was not. Any insight and help would be very appreciated.
    FYI, Dakota Tactical works on other roller locking brands to get them running right.
    I didn’t read the whole thread, but I thought I’d toss that out there.

They are located near Detroit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123