Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My PTR91 is a Jam-O-Matic

When I was looking into buying a "scary black rifle" shortly after the Pulse shooting I was waffling between an FAL and a PTR91. Aside from the $400 price difference I was also impressed by the HK91s reliability being close to the mythical AK47 in it's ability to run pretty much in any state of dirtiness and dryness.

Mine... Not so much. With Winchester Super-X ammo it routinely gets empty cases lodged head-first in the gas tube, as well as occasionally just mangling a round to the point the bullet is bent at a 45 degree angle since it presumably missed the chamber[?] With Tula and Wolf sometimes it won't go fully into battery or just not set off rounds when I pull the trigger. I think about the only thing so far I tried that ran alright was ZQI but I'm not the hugest fan or Turkey so I prefer not buying Turkish ammo. I sadly don't shoot that much, so I'd say that with Tula or Wolf it goes at most 300 rounds/6 months before I have to field strip and clean it to get it to stop choking at least once a magazine.

I'm mostly asking for information if this is "normal" in real life for PTRs, if anyone knows of range ammo that might run better, if PTR will honor their warranty beyond the 1 year guaranteed, or other things like that. This was my first [and at least for the moment, only] rifle and my third gun so it has a place in my heart. I want it to run well and be a trustworthy companion which for the time I've had it it was not. Any insight and help would be very appreciated.

My dad has one, he shoots everything off the counter from Walmart and Dunham's. Remington, Winchester, last time I saw some orange ammo boxes I'll follow up and ask. I gave him some 1990s German nato surplus, he shot that as well. I'll get you a list he never said anything about problems when we shot.

I have around 900 rds thru my PTR GIR. I've shot just about everything, German surplus, PMC, federal, you name it and it's been flawless. I usually use PPU 147 grain, for range ammo it's excellent.

Man, guess I should be contacting PTR some time in the near future...

I am a Forum User
    Have you contacted HK?

It's not made by HK, is it? I thought PTR was it's own company?

Quote Originally Posted by JDeko View Post
    it is. Its american company building on HK tooling. Give them a call, or try a couple more brands, I personally would call first before making another range trip.

I am a Forum User
    Sorry, that’s right. So call their CS and give them a chance to sort this out for you. Hopefully you end up with a reliable firearm.

When I was looking into buying a "scary black rifle" shortly after the Pulse shooting I was waffling between an FAL and a PTR91. Aside from the $400 price difference I was also impressed by the HK91s reliability being close to the mythical AK47 in it's ability to run pretty much in any state of dirtiness and dryness.
    FALs are known to be very reliable, look up the legend of old dirty. But no real FAL is 1400 bucks, all way more than that. Of course like PTR there are good clones from springfield, IMBEL, DSA, and more.

No real FAL so if you did not want to spend a ton and wanted new manufacture you have DSA, and PTR.

I am a Forum User
    Dirt:

A "real" FAL/L1A1 based on an Imbel or DSA receiver is around $1400 or more but if you educate yourself you can get a CAI for around $700 that functions just as well as the high end versions. I finessed myself one from here. (MGO), that cost me, for the weapon itself, about $400. Since I was educated about the issues I determined the problem and now have a perfect L1A1/FAL that I would trust my life to.

I say that as someone who carried the SLR, (which is the L1A1/FAL), for ten years and trusted my life to it... Now I have one that dear old Elizabeth doesn't have to lend me to go and do my business...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast