Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AM1958 View Post
    Dirt:

A "real" FAL/L1A1 based on an Imbel or DSA receiver is around $1400 or more but if you educate yourself you can get a CAI for around $700 that functions just as well as the high end versions. I finessed myself one from here. (MGO), that cost me, for the weapon itself, about $400. Since I was educated about the issues I determined the problem and now have a perfect L1A1/FAL that I would trust my life to.

I say that as someone who carried the SLR, (which is the L1A1/FAL), for ten years and trusted my life to it... Now I have one that dear old Elizabeth doesn't have to lend me to go and do my business...
    I meant real in the sense its stamped FN or steyr or original arsenal build.

I am not totally against century fals if they have one of the good receivers and someone else sorted it out. I would not want to send it back three times, then give up and take it to ken kubin and whatever he would charge me.

I have a enterprise on imbel parts the rest of the rifle. stg 58c i really like it.

I would not just buy a century from century or off gunbroker.

I would buy yours from you though. Hope that makes sense.

I am not a brand snob, I totally would buy a springfield clone, gun plumber build, a kubin build, and number of known smiths, or someone I knew personally and the gun was a good runner brank X or parts kit.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    it is. Its american company building on HK tooling. Give them a call, or try a couple more brands, I personally would call first before making another range trip.
    Heh heh heh... Well, I'm going to contact them after one last range trip. Whoever followed after me is in for a sad surprise when they think they found a around a dozen unfired .308win rounds only to see the cases all look like they've been hit with a ballpeen hammer.

I am a Forum User
    I have a few HK clones and find there can be some issues with them. Most are made with a variety of original HK parts and US made parts. One of the main issues I have had is with the ejectors. I had to replace the one on my C-308 as it just broke. Also the roller lock actions do need a lot of lubricant to break in. I had quite a few jams with my MP5 until I lubbed the hell out of it. After a few thousand rounds it is broken in and now does not need as much. When I purchased my C-308 it was horrible. The PTR's are much better. I tore mine down soaked it in acetone, blasted every part and cerakoted the whole thing. I used Cerakote Microslick on the bolt carrier which has made it run much better. Mine also came with a slightly bent cocking tube which caused alot of friction. It made it hard to charge and also gave it cycling issues. I would take it completely apart, examine all the parts for wear, lube well and reassemble. They really are not that difficult but if your not comfortable with it I'd be happy to do an inspect and lube for you. That's pretty much what PTR will be doing and replacing anything that is out of spec or worn. Every HK part ever made can be purchased on HKparts.com.

I am a Forum User
    The PTR 91 has never been a robust rifle like an AK, headspace changes as it wears and too much stamped metal. The only reason the German army adopted the G3 (HK91) was it was much cheaper and easier to make than a FAL (G1) which is mostly machined. I have owned 3 91s (a true HK, PTR 91 and CETME). All had issues feeding some ammo, even the NIB HK91. If you ever want to see FAL reliability, look up the thread on Old Dirty on FALFiles, this FAL has fired 17k+ rounds without a cleaning. It has been thrown in mud puddles, soaked in water...

I am local if you ever want to try a FAL, and yes I am biased...

Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    I have a few HK clones and find there can be some issues with them. Most are made with a variety of original HK parts and US made parts. One of the main issues I have had is with the ejectors. I had to replace the one on my C-308 as it just broke. Also the roller lock actions do need a lot of lubricant to break in. I had quite a few jams with my MP5 until I lubbed the hell out of it. After a few thousand rounds it is broken in and now does not need as much. When I purchased my C-308 it was horrible. The PTR's are much better. I tore mine down soaked it in acetone, blasted every part and cerakoted the whole thing. I used Cerakote Microslick on the bolt carrier which has made it run much better. Mine also came with a slightly bent cocking tube which caused alot of friction. It made it hard to charge and also gave it cycling issues. I would take it completely apart, examine all the parts for wear, lube well and reassemble. They really are not that difficult but if your not comfortable with it I'd be happy to do an inspect and lube for you. That's pretty much what PTR will be doing and replacing anything that is out of spec or worn. Every HK part ever made can be purchased on HKparts.com.
    I contacted PTR and they're going to send me a shipping label and take a look at it. If they say it's all good and/or if the fix it and it still is malfunctioning I'll hit you up. I've accidentally disassembled it down to taking the bolt carrier apart trying to get the rollers back in so I'd be fine taking it apart in that case and learning what to look for to see if it's messed up somehow.

I am a Forum User
    Reading this thread makes me glad I passed on the PTR when I considered one..
    ended up with a M1a, & later, a AR-10..both which have worked well w/o incident.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    Reading this thread makes me glad I passed on the PTR when I considered one..
    ended up with a M1a, & later, a AR-10..both which have worked well w/o incident.
    They are know to be reliable, maybe not the most, but this is not the reputation.

I would say ak is best, then FAL, but ptr91 is not known to be fussy.

I am a Forum User
    They are know to be reliable, maybe not the most, but this is not the reputation.

I would say ak is best, then FAL, but ptr91 is not known to be fussy.
    Now, if you added reliability with range and accuracy would the order of that list change? And is that important?

Quote Originally Posted by AM1958 View Post
    Now, if you added reliability with range and accuracy would the order of that list change? And is that important?
    Hk has better sights better at distance than AK. FAL has good peep sights, dsa makes nicer ones, and railed cover for a scope.

Out of the box as is only using factory parts hk takes first place if you care more about accuracy and factory scope mount.

I am a Forum User
    Hk has better sights better at distance than AK. FAL has good peep sights, dsa makes nicer ones, and railed cover for a scope.

Out of the box as is only using factory parts hk takes first place if you care more about accuracy and factory scope mount.
    Fair comments... [Devil's Advocate] Is a scope a requirements at even extended battlefield ranges, (say 2-300 yards)? [/Devil's Advocate]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast