Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member Forum User

RUGER SUPER REDHAWK 454 CASULL FACTORY RINGS

Mounting Leupold 2X scope, I give up, can not get these rings to stay tight, used blue thread locker, Big screwdriver, no mater how tight I got them, the scope keeps loosing up.

Please forgive the unintended insult in the following questions... I'm just trying to understand the problem, and the steps already taken.

I'm assuming you de-greased the threads and mounting area thoroughly before applying torque and the Loctite?

Are the rings remaining tight on the scope, and just the mounting to the pistol is loosening?

And lastly, do you intend to keep the scope on the pistol, or will you be removing it occasionally?

- I clean mounting screws and surfaces with either denatured alcohol or acetone, then let it dry thoroughly. I make sure to remove all debris from the screw itself with a stiff brush, blow it off with compressed air, then de-grease and apply Loctite.

- If it is just the rings loosening from the pistol there are a couple possibilities. First, contact Ruger and explain the issue. They might ship you another set of rings, or at least the screws.

- Use a torque wrench to verify you are hitting proper torque. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then torque again.

- You can use 'Red' Loctite, better holding power, but you WILL need to heat the screws with a soldering iron to remove them... and then discard them.

- You can take a small punch and 'stake' the screws once tight to prevent rotation. I'd go this rote only if you are 100% certain it is a long-term mount. The screws can still be removed, but it takes a bit more work.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Please forgive the unintended insult in the following questions... I'm just trying to understand the problem, and the steps already taken.

I'm assuming you de-greased the threads and mounting area thoroughly before applying torque and the Loctite?

Are the rings remaining tight on the scope, and just the mounting to the pistol is loosening?

And lastly, do you intend to keep the scope on the pistol, or will you be removing it occasionally?

- I clean mounting screws and surfaces with either denatured alcohol or acetone, then let it dry thoroughly. I make sure to remove all debris from the screw itself with a stiff brush, blow it off with compressed air, then de-grease and apply Loctite.

- If it is just the rings loosening from the pistol there are a couple possibilities. First, contact Ruger and explain the issue. They might ship you another set of rings, or at least the screws.

- Use a torque wrench to verify you are hitting proper torque. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then torque again.

- You can use 'Red' Loctite, better holding power, but you WILL need to heat the screws with a soldering iron to remove them... and then discard them.

- You can take a small punch and 'stake' the screws once tight to prevent rotation. I'd go this rote only if you are 100% certain it is a long-term mount. The screws can still be removed, but it takes a bit more work.
    I agree with everything you said except discarding the screws. If you think the screws need to be discarded because of the heat from the soldering iron, they should not. For the short amount of time needed to soften the red Loctite and remove the screw, the properties of the heat treated screws should not change, at least not enough to warrant their discardment. Maybe if you heated them several times. Thoroughly clean the threads, both on the screw and in the hole of any of the Loctite remnants. Use a flat bottom tap on the hole with compressed air and a small wire brush on the screw. Clean both with alcohol and redo the Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    I agree with everything you said except discarding the screws. If you think the screws need to be discarded because of the heat from the soldering iron, they should not. For the short amount of time needed to soften the red Loctite and remove the screw, the properties of the heat treated screws should not change, at least not enough to warrant their discardment. Maybe if you heated them several times. Thoroughly clean the threads, both on the screw and in the hole of any of the Loctite remnants. Use a flat bottom tap on the hole with compressed air and a small wire brush on the screw. Clean both with alcohol and redo the Loctite.
    Oh, it wasn't because of the heat, but because it can be a royal pain to clean those little screws! I bought a couple boxes of assorted scope mounting screws/gunsmith screws from Brownell's years ago. If a screw is problematic I usually have a spare.
    But, I've also resorted to a small PanaVise and a Dremel with a tiny wire wheel to clean up screws I couldn't easily replace.
    Just being lazy!

And, I agree 100% with your replay; spot on, Sir.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneofakind View Post
    Mounting Leupold 2X scope, I give up, can not get these rings to stay tight, used blue thread locker, Big screwdriver, no mater how tight I got them, the scope keeps loosing up.
    I presume that the scope is actually slipping in the rings?

I had that problem on my Redhawk with factory rings. I finally ended up getting a scope ring lapping rod then using that to 'first' mount the rings to the gun before tightening (rod held rings in alignment during ring mounting then pushing mounts all the way forward before tightening).

Once the mounts were aligned (best possible) then tightened securely I then used lapping compound & the lapping rod to burnish the rings to have a good round profile & full contact. (by what I saw as I was lapping & checking, the rings (as bought) didn't have a good full circle scope tube contact).

If your problem is the scope bases shooting loose on the gun then that can take some number of shots to stop happening as the scope base claws will probably keep digging into the receiver slots as you shoot (do not LockTite to stop this), just keep tightening the base screws as they dig in deeper & come loose. Once they fully seat in & quit loosening then you can LockTight it you want. If you LockTite at first install they can work loose but the LockTite won't allow you to keep tightening them until they stop working loose.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 04-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.

MGO Member Forum User
    Yes I do clean all threads and screws and base, The problem is mounting to the pistol, I do have a torque wrench, Like the third time I used a big screw driver tightened
    to almost snapping the screw, I want to permanently leave it mounted, The problem is the angle mount sleeve that holds it to the pistol, Screws are staying tight, the sleeve actually gouged the angle mount on the pistol and lifted up.

MGO Member Forum User
    The forth try, I purchased a Jack Weigand mount with 3 rings, removed the rear sight, cleaned all threads and screws, mounted base and rings thread locker and torqued to specs recommended mounting instructions, this time the base stayed tight to the pistol, the weigand ring mounts to the base do not have a bar keeper between the base mount ribs, it uses the ring mounting screw for the lock in, this time the ring base mounting screws caused the front base mount rib top to roll up on all 3 ring base mounting screws from the recoil and lift up damaging the base mount rail ribs, I did have my torque wrench checked and calibrated, it is at spec.
    Last edited by Oneofakind; 04-22-2019 at 08:01 AM.

MGO Member Forum User
    I did take the pistol to mag-na- port to have a T'SOB base mount to the pistol, they recommended the Jack Weigand mount instead, that's why I used the mount, I want to keep a scope on this pistol. I'm shooting factory loads.
    Last edited by Oneofakind; 04-22-2019 at 08:02 AM.