Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: ww2 snipers

I am a Forum User

ww2 snipers

I got the ww2 sniper bug last fall. Here is where Im at so far. Anyone else have one? Would love to see!

I am a Forum User
    Is your Springfield an A4 or made up? Either way, it looks very nice! I would like to get an A4 some day.

I am a Forum User
    it was made up- Chuck Moline at Warpath Vintage in Denver did the work, hes top notch. It shoots amazing. It did an action and trigger job. I never expected it to shoot sub MOA but it does.

I am a Forum User
    Nice collection.

It is pretty awesome to think about what the guys in the past did with the equipment they had, can you imagine cutting them boys loose with some of the equipment we have today?

Thanks for sharing

I am a Forum User
    Watch the Washtenaw Calendar. Bill generally holds a CMP Vintage Sniper Match once a year. This year the Vintage Sniper match at Camp Perry will be on Monday August 5, 2019.

For those not familiar with this match it is a 2 man timed fire match shot from 300 & 600 yards. One member shoots while the other acts as the spotter. Once the string of fire is done the team swaps roles. Each member fired 10 record shots from 300 yards on the SR3 with 20 second exposure of the target for each shot. The team then goes to 600 and does the same on the MR1.

The team is issued 2 sand bags to use as a rifle rest. No rear bag or support is allowed. You may also fire from a sling without bags if desired.

At Camp Perry the match is held in the afternoon so that wind and mirage are challenging.

i have built 3 or 4 1903A4 and 1941 USMC sniper clones. Finished 10 or 11th @ Perry with the 41 a few years back out of like 500 teams. The 41 is the go to for most people since it is the rifle with the highest allowable magnification at 8X. All of the other US bolt rifles are limited to 2.5X.
    Last edited by Rootsy; 04-21-2019 at 09:02 AM.

I am a Forum User
    I built the a4 with this in mind. It has a Criterion barrel and Chuck worked his magic. I've only had it to the range once to sight in but once it was dialed in it shot a 5 shot nickel sized group at 100 yds with 168 gr sierra matchings. I was blown away since that is way better than the originals ever shot. I've read many guys are using 175 gr bullets to minimize wind drift at 600 yds, do you? My K98 ZF 41 shoots well also but is limited due to the 1.5x scope, more of a DMR type rifle. I haven't shot the No4 Mk1 T yet but am hoping for good accuracy. It was built on a bone stock 1943 rifle that did shoot well with iron sights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I built the a4 with this in mind. It has a Criterion barrel and Chuck worked his magic. I've only had it to the range once to sight in but once it was dialed in it shot a 5 shot nickel sized group at 100 yds with 168 gr sierra matchings. I was blown away since that is way better than the originals ever shot. I've read many guys are using 175 gr bullets to minimize wind drift at 600 yds, do you? My K98 ZF 41 shoots well also but is limited due to the 1.5x scope, more of a DMR type rifle. I haven't shot the No4 Mk1 T yet but am hoping for good accuracy. It was built on a bone stock 1943 rifle that did shoot well with iron sights.
    155.5 Berger Fullbore. I use German Salazar’s ‘06 “Serengeti” reamer. Mimics the 2011 Palma reamer in the throat and leade.

I've used a springfield with a scope on a range shot, the recoil was too tough I wasn't expecting that, my arm hurts so bad even now when I remind this

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalAttack View Post
    I've used a springfield with a scope on a range shot, the recoil was too tough I wasn't expecting that, my arm hurts so bad even now when I remind this

springfieldis pretty mild- 8mm bites after about 30 rds