Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Grease 1911 Rails? Not For Me, How About You?

My SIG's love to have their rails well greased, along with a small touch of grease on the barrel, as some of you know. So, I thought the 1911 would, as well. What't that old adage - "if it slides, grease it" or some such?

I discovered that the grease, at least for me and my grandson, was more of a hindrance than a help, especially on his ATI 1911, so the before last range session, we cleaned all the grease and replaced it with a light coat of Slip 2000 oil. The gun ran surprisingly well, with no stoppages like we had with the grease.

Anyone else have a similar experience, or am I going about this the wrong way? As much as I enjoy shooting the 1911, I am still learning the nuances of maintaining them.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    My SIG's love to have their rails well greased, along with a small touch of grease on the barrel, as some of you know. So, I thought the 1911 would, as well. What't that old adage - "if it slides, grease it" or some such?

I discovered that the grease, at least for me and my grandson, was more of a hindrance than a help, especially on his ATI 1911, so the before last range session, we cleaned all the grease and replaced it with a light coat of Slip 2000 oil. The gun ran surprisingly well, with no stoppages like we had with the grease.

Anyone else have a similar experience, or am I going about this the wrong way? As much as I enjoy shooting the 1911, I am still learning the nuances of maintaining them.
    I shoot in cold to very cold weather, or could keep my gun in a cold truck overnight so I 'grease' very little on a firearm.

My standard test is to place a cleaned, lubricated, & loaded gun in a plastic bag then place it in my freezer overnight. Then next morning grab the gun, remove the plastic bag, then step out my back door & fire the entire magazine. Very few of my guns (especially semi-auto pistols) will pass the above test if greased.

About all that I (might) ever grease is non cycling areas or non fire-control areas like a connector or disconnector contact point (think Glock), or possibly a striker block plunger to slide contact area.

Long ago when I was young I greased the bolt firing pin on my hunting rifle thinking that I was helping. Functioned OK during sight in & preseason practice but I lost the biggest buck that I have ever had in my sights when I pulled the trigger on that gun, after sitting out is sub-freezing weather, when it did NOTHING, nada, not even a click. Yep, I still remember that day like it was this morning.

Grease in the summer and Oil in the winter.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Banned
    Never used any type of "grease" on a gun in my life and have never had any problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Grease the disconnector track on the underside of the slide and the OD of the barrel and barrel hood. Lightly, a very thin coat. Use NLGI Number 2 grease with molybdenum disulphide in the summertime. Use NLGI Number 0 grease with molybdenum disulphide when temperatures fall below - 20° F.

Use an SAE 20W weight or heavier oil everywhere else inside standard 1911 pistols. Lighter weight oils may be required to get match prepared guns to function properly.

MGO Member
    Brian Eno,s
    Slide glide,great stuff.

I have a whole shoe box full of lubes, but I really like brian enos slide guide on rails of my guns. I use it on my p225 and p228. He makes a regular and one that is more favorable to low temps. Only two products so go try one of each and let me know what you think.

description but better prices elsewhere https://brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide

its on amazon if you have prime and free shipping https://www.amazon.com/Slide-Glide-G.../dp/B0031UHDLA

Quote Originally Posted by coobie View Post
    Glide slide,great stuff.
    jinx!

You meant slilde glide so ill count it.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    jinx!

You meant slilde glide so ill count it.
    Yep changed it..Old farts disease.

I was once told by a person I believed to be in the know that the only place grease belongs on a firearm is the bolt lugs with the exception of the Garands bolt rails, other firearms should see nothing but a light oil.

So far it has worked for me.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast