Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I was once told by a person I believed to be in the know that the only place grease belongs on a firearm is the bolt lugs with the exception of the Garands bolt rails, other firearms should see nothing but a light oil.

So far it has worked for me.
    you shoud grease rails on aluminum frame sigs. Its actually very important.

I am a Forum User
    What grease, how much, what ammo,hows the gun setup,what springs, broken in or not etc etc all could come into play
    I use lubriplate and never had a issue with my 1911’s

MGO Member
    For as long as I can remember I've been using Super Lube on every thing from Trap guns to battle rifles and every kind of handgun that has crossed my wallet. Have never had a problem and I shoot year around no matter what the weather.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, you should grease ALL pistol slide rails, not just 1911s.

I am a Forum User
    I had this conversation with a couple armorers from the AMU last summer at Camp Perry during the nationals. They said nothing but gun oil on a 1911, period. They stated all grease will do is slow down and gum up the gun and potentially cause problems. I asked them if they had an oil preference, they didn’t seem to. They had what they had, but felt any reputable gun oil would do fine.

I've been in the shooting game for over 40 years. I've used grease before, but quit because of how it contributed to the buildup of grunge. I've been using light oil for over 30 years and never had a problem... except my P210, which has such tight slide fit that too much oil jams it up.

Most of my guns get lubed liberally, wiped down with a clean rag, then blown out with compressed air (30 PSI).
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Back in the day, there was a product called “Gun Slick”. I found an old tube of it in a box of gun parts, I ironically found at the county dump shooting rats. Paper instructions as I recall said to use a dab on pistol rails or squeeze into action on revolvers. I used it on a model 19, 29, 66, 36, and after a couple thousand dry fires it definitely smoothed up the action. As far as I can tell it was nothing more than fine moly assembly lube. Better than squeezing into the action was a tiny dollop on the rebound slide glide surface. Over the years it polished those surfaces to a glass finish. I used it on rails of pistols with like results.

On my 1911, which I carry and shoot regularly, after oil and wipe, I use a small dab of high quality synthetic automotive lube (RP) on the rails. Rack the rails ten times, wipe off any excess.

Notes: After cerakote, my slide/frame fit tightened up, lube helped.
    Below zero temps you can feel the slide slowing down.
    Excess oils attracts and collects lint and gunpowder residue.
    Lint is like an ex’s divorce lawyer: it gets into EVERYTHING!

My NEXT new pistol (1911) I will liberally lube the slide for first five hundred rounds, probably use graphite assembly lube.

Lots of great comments, thanks! The general consensus seems to be a light coat of oil for the 1911's, but at the end of the day, it really is a personal preference. For me, right now anyway, I'll use a light coating of oil to see how my guns run. I may also try a very light coating of grease, just for comparison, a bit later.

MGO Board of Directors

A little, Molly infused Krytox is awesome, if you don't mind the cost and carcinogens.
    Usually, I use a light coat of Mobile one.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    There are really a lot of great choices when it comes to gun lubes, if what your using is working for you that's the lube you need.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast