Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4512 of 2019 - Penalties for Storing or Leaving a Firearm Where it May be Accessed by a Minor

HB 4512 of 2019
    Crimes; weapons; penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor; provide for. Amends sec. 223 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223) & adds sec. 223a.
    Last Action: 4/30/2019 bill electronically reproduced 04/25/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This bill makes a FFL a criminal if they fail to conspicuously post and deliver a written warning relating to keeping/storing firearms where minors (under 18 years old) might have access.

If a minor (under 18 years old) gains access to a stored firearm and injures or kills themselves or others (some exceptions apply), the person storing it faces felony charges.

If the minor possesses the firearm in a public place or displays it in a threatening manner (some exceptions apply), the person storing it face misdemeanor criminal charges.

Exceptions to the above include:

(A) THE MINOR OBTAINS THE FIREARM WITH THE PERMISSION OF THE MINOR'S PARENT OR GUARDIAN AND THE MINOR USES OR POSSESSES THE FIREARM DURING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
    (i) HIS OR HER EMPLOYMENT.
    (ii) RANCHING OR FARMING.
    (iii) TARGET PRACTICE, HUNTING, OR INSTRUCTION IN THE SAFE USE OF A FIREARM.

(B) THE MINOR OBTAINS THE FIREARM THROUGH THE MINOR'S UNLAWFUL ENTRY OF ANY PREMISES WHERE THE FIREARM HAS BEEN STORED OR THROUGH THE MINOR'S ILLEGAL TAKING OF THE FIREARM FROM THE OWNER'S PREMISES.
    (C) THE MINOR OBTAINS THE FIREARM WHILE LAWFULLY ACTING IN SELF-DEFENSE OR DEFENSE OF ANOTHER.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

(B) THE MINOR OBTAINS THE FIREARM THROUGH THE MINOR'S UNLAWFUL ENTRY OF ANY PREMISES WHERE THE FIREARM HAS BEEN STORED OR THROUGH THE MINOR'S ILLEGAL TAKING OF THE FIREARM FROM THE OWNER'S PREMISES.
    "I told the kid he wasn't allowed in my bedroom or the gun room. He trespassed." Is not likely to hold up...

(C) THE MINOR OBTAINS THE FIREARM WHILE LAWFULLY ACTING IN SELF-DEFENSE OR DEFENSE OF ANOTHER.
    I feel like this was thrown in after some intern, soon to be fired, asked "what if the kid really needs it to protect somebody?"
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

We have not had any sort of a "storage" law previously. Has something happened that this law would have prevented?

Other forms of storage laws have been struck down in other places. What makes this bunch dimocrats think that this is of value, or even reasonable (and yes, the sponsors are all Democrats).

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    We have not had any sort of a "storage" law previously. Has something happened that this law would have prevented?

Other forms of storage laws have been struck down in other places. What makes this bunch dimocrats think that this is of value, or even reasonable (and yes, the sponsors are all Democrats).
    We have to do SOMETHING.
    but that darn NRA keeps blocking us...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

Anything the dem's introduce at this time is a dress rehearsal for what they will do when they hold the complete majority.