Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4514 of 2019 - Exempt Firearms Safety Devices from Use Tax

HB 4514 of 2019
    Use tax; exemptions; firearm safety devices; exempt. Amends 1937 PA 94 (MCL 205.91 - 205.111) by adding sec. 4ff.
    Last Action: 4/30/2019 bill electronically reproduced 04/25/2019
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Just as the title says, this bill would exempt firearms safety devices from use tax.
    Firearms safety devices INCLUDE safes!
    It also includes "other items designed to enhance home firearm safety".

It appears to have an auto-sunset date of December 31, 2021 for whatever reason.

But, if this bill passes, it presents an opportunity to save some money on a nice safe or 10 through Dec. 31, 2021!
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Unless I am reading this wrong, HB4514 (this bill) just says that there will be signs posted at all points of sale for these safety devices that announces that there is no sale or use tax. The other bill HB 4513 actually eliminated both taxes.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Unless I am reading this wrong, HB4514 (this bill) just says that there will be signs posted at all points of sale for these safety devices that announces that there is no sale or use tax. The other bill HB 4513 actually eliminated both taxes.
    looks like it will be required at all FFLs who do gun transfers. which should cover gun stores, big box sporting good stores, pawn shops, etc.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Sales tax (HB 4513):

SEC. 4FF. BEGINNING 90 DAYS AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE AMENDATORY ACT THAT ADDED THIS SECTION THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2021, A SALE OF FIREARM SAFETY DEVICES IS EXEMPT FROM THE TAX UNDER THIS ACT.
    Use tax (HB 4514):

SEC. 4FF. BEGINNING 90 DAYS AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE AMENDATORY ACT THAT ADDED THIS SECTION THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2021, THE TAX LEVIED UNDER THIS ACT DOES NOT APPLY TO THE STORAGE, USE, OR CONSUMPTION OF FIREARM SAFETY DEVICES.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Sales tax (HB 4513)
    Use tax (HB 4514):
    I now see what you are saying.

But these two can't stand together, they both create a Section 4FF, that do and say different things. They will have to be combined and address two different acts.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

I now see what you are saying.

But these two can't stand together, they both create a Section 4FF, that do and say different things. They will have to be combined and address two different acts.
    Agreed. I immediately thought when I first read the bills that they would/should be tie-barred…but it didn't say so…I double checked and sure enough, they are two separate bills not tied to each other. Why not? I have no idea! You would think that, logically, if one passes, the other would pass, as well…but…logic has no place in thinking about the government!