Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Gunsmith recommendation, Central MI or tri cities, Colt Fitz Special project

Have a ramshackle gen 1 Colt Cobra on the way, needing refinish anyway.
    Just wondering who would do a good job of cutting off (and dehorning) the hammer spur and front portion of TG. Don't need cocking grooves on the stub of leftover hammer.

Undecided on finish as of yet. Wanted to avoid something modern spray and bake, but blue isn't durable enough, not sure how nickel or hard chrome will take to an alloy frame or match up (steel and aluminum pieces with same finish.

Who's good in the gladwin/Clare county area down to Gratiot co. Or the tri cities? Would prefer not to ship.
    What should I expect to pay to have done right and maybe more importantly, turnaround time?

I am a Forum User
    I'm not sure how many gunsmiths in today's world would do it due to liability issues. Too many people want to sue nowadays due to their own stupid oops.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    I'm not sure how many gunsmiths in today's world would do it due to liability issues. Too many people want to sue nowadays due to their own stupid oops.
    I've heard of people doing the right side of TG which is stupid, signing waivers or agreements to not chamber love ammo, etc. I can't fault a business owner for refusing a particular service they feel may jeopardize their business.
    It could be I'll have to handle it myself with hacksaw and files.
    But in no rush.
    More excited about this Remington M-17 20 gauge project, SBS or 18 incher but think I found my go to fighting pump gun. And from that same prohibition/depression era

I am a Forum User
    Glen Duncan at Duncan’s Outdoor Shop in Bay City would be a good start. I’m not sure if he can help you but he’s a good smith with a lot of knowledge and will give you good advice on your options if nothing else.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mittenman View Post
    Glen Duncan at Duncan’s Outdoor Shop in Bay City would be a good start. I’m not sure if he can help you but he’s a good smith with a lot of knowledge and will give you good advice on your options if nothing else.
    If Glenn can't/won't do it, I'm sure he knows someone who might. He's got a lot of contacts in the industry and knows people.

Cutting out the front of the trigger guard is like altering the safety of the handgun. You will be lucky to find a smith willing to assume liability for doing it. Signing a “waiver” makes no difference they are still accepting some liability.
    Fitz did it to his revolvers due to having exceptionally large hands and fat fingers that he could not easily fit into the trigger guard of his preferred Colts. As a law officer working in NY, winter weather demanded gloves and made matters worse. IMHO it really serves no practical purpose for most and increases the hazard of using it as a carry gun.

Then again, simply desiring something is enough reason, I won’t argue with “want”.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray