Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD SCOPE ?

BAD SCOPE ?

Recently bought an NEF single shot rifle in .223. It's about 85%. No rust or major blemishes. The problem is with the scope that came on it.

It's a Tasco, the eye piece is marked 6-24. The other end is adjustable & has markings for 25 yds, 50 yds, etc., to 300 yds & infinity.

Was shooting it from the picnic table out to about 30 yds. Had everything set on the minimum distance. From a LEAD SLED it shoots about 15" high. Windage was pretty much right on. Just a few clicks to get it centered. Ran the elevation dial all the way in & out & it did NOTHING. When I shot about 15" low on the backer, it hit in the center of the target. As you can see from the pic, when looking at the POA. it hits about 15" high.

So do I have a junked up scope, or am I doing something wrong?

I even broke the scope rings loose & put a shim on the back ring to bring it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Not certain which Tasco scope you have, but some have a single diagonal reticle tensioning spring and others have two (one for windage, one for elevation) springs. These springs force the reticle glass element to maintain contact against the W & E adjustment screw points as they move.

If your scope has two reticle tensioning springs, the elevation spring is most likely broken or missing. If your scope has the single, diagonal reticle tensioning spring, the elevation adjustment screw is most likely stripped from someone over torquing it at an end position.

I know very little about the inner workings of a scope. Anything repairable, or do I assume I bought a POS ?
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    I know very little about the inner workings of a scope. Anything repairable, or do I assume I bought a POS ?
    A more expensive scope would be worth repairing, but most Tascos are cheaper to replace than repair - unless they are under warranty. There is a significant cost to opening up the scope, replacing the bad parts, gassing it, and putting it back together. There is nothing you can do, beyond confirming the problem by V blocking it, because it takes special tools and a gas tight glove box to work on these scopes.

It's a Tasco, the eye piece is marked 6-24. The other end is adjustable & has markings for 25 yds, 50 yds, etc., to 300 yds & infinity.

Was shooting it from the picnic table out to about 30 yds. Had everything set on the minimum distance. From a LEAD SLED it shoots about 15" high. Windage was pretty much right on. Just a few clicks to get it centered. Ran the elevation dial all the way in & out & it did NOTHING

Just to verify, you are adjusting the elevation dial on the top center of the scope and not the parallax adjustment on the end of the scope?
    I only ask because I have seen it done a time or two over the years and rule nothing out anymore.
    Tasso is IMO not any better quality then the cheap scopes the various manufactures put on their “package” guns. If in fact you are adjusting the elevation dial without it giving the proper amount of movement on target I would consider the scope trashed and replace it with a scope of higher quality. You don’t need a Leupold or Nightforce there are a lot of great lower priced scopes offered by makers like Vortex, Bushnell and others.
    Sadly when looking at optics the quality is always running in line with the price. A $90-$120 6x24 scope will not ever compare to a $250 with equal features in durability, brightness and accuracy of adjustments.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Yes, I am using the adjusting knob. I tried using a laser bore sighter on it the night before. Couldn't get it to come down that way. But it was cold & raining up there so I gave up. Next day I started off sighting in a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. 3 passes & the scope was GTG. Then when I tried the NEF, wasted an hour
    trying to figure out what the deal was. Gave up after 60 rds.

Not looking for pinpoint accuracy, but I'll look around on line & find a decent 3x9.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

How is the scope mounted? Could the base be on backwards or is there something holding up the front?
    It doesn't take much to out run the limitation of the scope adjustments.

You usually don't find a parallax adjustment on cheaper scopes. What do you have it set for?
    Last edited by Roundballer; 05-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Looks like it's mounted ok. Everything is tight. Some scratches on the tube, like it's been moved around a lot.

6-24x40
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DEVIL DOG; 05-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Think your Tasco is a second focal plane reticle model which has the diagonal spring. It is actually a semicircular leaf spring which pushes the erector tube, which contains the reticle, from 7:30 o'clock to 1:30, as viewed from the rear.

Your erector tube is probably in the full up position because the elevation screw is stripped. It is not applying any force to the erector tube so the spring pushes the erector tube all the way up.

There is also a good possibility that the dry nitrogen fill gas has leaked out, so the scope will be susceptible to fogging.

Looked on ebay. That is an old Jap made scope. Was not inexpensive in it's day. Will see what the seller has to say. I like the gun, but not with a NOP scope.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

71 AND COUNTING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast