Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAD SCOPE ?

I am a Forum User
    You never know the likely durability of a scope until you take it apart and see how it is constructed internally. Some of the less satisfactory internal elements of lower cost scopes include soft adjustment screws, absence of adjustment screw shoes (screw tips bearing directly on the erector), weak gimbals for erector tubes, thin walled erector tubes, thin power cam tubes, plastic cam tube followers, plastic reticle plates, unstress relieved springs, and hackneyed assembly. None of these are readily apparent from external inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Looked on ebay. That is an old Jap made scope. Was not inexpensive in it's day. Will see what the seller has to say. I like the gun, but not with a NOP scope.

https://www.amazon.com/TASCO-MAG624X.../dp/B0000A0AHC
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Looks more like this one,,,,,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TASCO-6-24x...IAAOSwGbtchpE9

whatever it was, it was misused & now it's junk.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Devil Dog,, don't feel too bad.
    This must be fairly common occurrence, at least it is, in my experience.
    Many of my (small) collection of rifles had Tasco scopes mounted on them..as they were satisfactorily performing scopes for their price.
    They worked well, for many years, as much as they were used.. ( not a lot ) but a few range trips per year,
    about as much as a working parent has time to spend @ the range.

After I retired & started shooting more ( +25-30 yrs had passed ) I found most my Tasco scopes would not adjust.
    I started by buying a higher quality scope for 1 rifle, as a 3X9 power scope didn't work as well for my 60+ year old eyes.
    as they did when my eyes were younger. Buying a new scope caused me to shift scopes from 1 rifle to another..that is
    when I became aware that my old Tasco's wouldn't adjust to the new rifle. These were Japanese made Tascos..
    my bet is most new (comparably priced / entry level) scopes are now made in China.. ( & don't work as well as the Tasco's did when they were new)

Tasco's lifetime warranty seems to have "died" for their older scopes.. check out trying to get your scope repaired..
    Then PM me . if you get any + result.

Thanks for the dry shoulder Joe. Truth is, I wanted the NEF & would have bought it without a scope. Just bummed that the guy sold it without at least firing it. The guy did offer to take the rifle back & refund the purchase money. Told him I would keep the rifle. But, if I were the seller, I would give a partial refund for the scope.

He has offered me a number of options. I will take a small portion of the sale in cash & return the scope to him. I am happy with that & will now concentrate on finding another scope to replace it.

The seller is a stand up guy & I will not say anything negative about him. He could have just walked away, but instead made it right.

Going to start another thread about a replacement.
    Last edited by DEVIL DOG; 05-07-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    What loss on the scope? $10?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    What loss on the scope? $10?
    Kinda, but if it worked well its perceived functional value would be higher.

Its like any known commodity tool or toy you have thats maybe a little old but works good. It has little value on craigslist. But if your used 1080 40 inch tv brakes you have to go spend 300 or whatever, not the 50 bucks it was worth used. Same with if someone backes into your winter beater. You might have to go spend 3k on a new beater.

I am a Forum User
    I also bought a used rifle that came with a Tasco scope. I considered the scope "no value" when I made the purchase and planned to replace it.
    I never even tried using it, but did "play" with the zoom, and it would not focus at the upper 1/2 of the zoom range. I junked it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12