Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Post USPSA beginner gear recommendations from a beginner on a budget

I recently started shooting USPSA. I've attended a practice match, an introduction session, read some forums, and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I'm practically an expert now. If you own a handgun you've likely got most if not all of what you need to at least try USPSA without spending any money. Most people already have ear/eye protection, a belt, a bag, a holster, and enough mags to hold 32+ rounds. That's all you NEED to get started. It's also recommended your holster is a rigid style, and that you have a couple mag carriers. I encourage you to try it and go shoot an event with the minimum gear. If like me you think this is something you want to do more of I've got some low budget recommendations to start. Yes you can go out and spend $100's of dollars getting geared up. I've done that before and found out later I bought all the wrong stuff, I didn't like what I bought, or didn't stick with the sport I was gearing up for. For my recommendations below I spent under $50. I'd be happy to hear from those with more experience either better low budget options or what the next step up from these super cheap options would be. I know some will say I wasted my money on crap gear but I figure if I upgrade I can sell what I have to another newbie, I can keep it for spares, the holster and mag carriers can be be used for other shooting sports like IDPA (but not the belt) or I'll have a rig to loan to friends to get them interested in the sport. More shooters is a good thing. The one thing I'd recommend to any shooter is electronic ear protection. It doesn't necessarily fit with doing this on the cheap but to me its one of the nicest things to have especially at shooting events. Over the years I've had a few different kinds but not the cheap $30 ones that are out now so I won't give a specific low budget recommendation.

You can use any belt but the Uncle Mikes competition belt was recommended to me for $25 from Amazon. I went to order it and it was only $10. I'm sure there are reasons most competition belts are expensive but for $10 it will get me started. It's nice to set up your gear on the belt and leave it set. It makes getting ready to shoot simple. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found mag holders 4 for $16 on Amazon. There are things I don't like about them but for $16 its way better than fishing mags out of my pockets. This is likely the first thing I'll upgrade if I stick with this when I find what I like for a price I want to pay. Competition mag holders can get crazy expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need a holster to fit your gun. There's a lot of reasons to use a rigid one. I didn't want to invest in a expensive one right away because I have a couple guns I could shoot and I'm not sure which one I want to use yet and what class I want to shoot in. I went with an inexpensive holster for my Glock 22. I found a Fobus with passive retention for $19 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the information. Recently came across an ad for one of there shoots and now I’m curious, lol. And also will have the whole winter to get ready for giving it a try.

I am a Forum User
    Yeah the last Thursday night shoot was last week but they might be doing a Saturday shoot in Oct. Its a great group of people. Very welcoming to new shooters. Shooting on Thursday nights was great for me. Its hard for me to make the weekend shoots that most clubs do.

So some follow up on my budget recommendations:

I like the belt, it gets the job done. The only thing I added was a double sided piece of velcro to wrap around the belt where the ends over lap to hold it tight. Some belts come with that.

I ended up switching to my Berretta 92a1, so I bought another holster. I did have to get creative with some scrap leather to get this to fit tight to the belt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I really like shooting the 92a1. There aren't many holster options for it. I've got a Ghost competition holster picked out that I'd like to get eventually.

I do not recommend those mag holders. There is no way to fix them tight to the belt so they move a bit and tend to change angles. They do work and I'm still using them. I'm planning by next season to upgrade. There are a couple options I'm looking at in the $10 each range.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by OraliaLer View Post
    Hi folks,

Im trying to get into USPSA shooting soon. I would like to know what you guys shoot for it and what it is that you recommend. Of course, I would like to use firearms that Im familiar with so Im not going to jump on a new gun just for uSPSA just yet.

Currently, Id probably shoot my SA XD Service 9mm or my SA 1911 in 9mm as well. Thoughts? Thank you
    I shoot a Beretta 92a1. I shoot it because I like it more than my Glock. Because of that I have to drop the hammer when loading before holstering at the beginning of each stage. So my first shot is DA. Some will argue that makes a difference. Some people like to shoot their carry gun, some people like to shoot super modified race guns. There are different classifications so a 10 round single stack doesn't compete with a 32 round tricked out race gun.

As a beginner shoot what you have and what you are comfortable with. After a few matches if you want to start tinkering with your gun and being better competition gear you can. Different mods are allowed in different classes. After you start competing you'll learn what you like, what you want to change, you'll see what other people are shooting, what gear they are using and you can adjust from there. Don't go out and drop a grand into a new gun and competition gear until you've shot at least a few matches. You have to have an appropriate holster, eye/ear protection, and enough mags to hold at least 32 rounds. You can put mags in pockets if you want but I recommend a couple mag carriers. That's all you need to get started.

The best gear or gun isn't going to make a significant difference to a new shooter and best gear or best gun is a matter of opinion. Don't get sucked into trying to compete against expeirenced shooters. Compete against yourself, try to improve with every match. The gun and the gear isn't where you will be able to make the biggest improvements. Go out there and shoot it, be safe and learn the game, start with accuracy and then build your speed.

I have way too many guns I've bought for USPSA over the years, but the last two seasons I've shot a Tanfoglio .40 gun in Limited division, though the last month I've been shooting a Sig P320 X5 in Carry Optics.

To start, definitely start with what you already have. Your XD would work well in Production, but you would be limited to 10 rounds in each magazine, so you would need a minimum of 4 magazines and mag carriers. If you don't have that many, you could always start in Limited and load your mags to capacity. I see plenty of new people start that way. Either way, you need a holster that fully covers the trigger. The 9mm 1911 could be a good start too, though you would be shooting in Single Stack, where you would be at a bit of a scoring disadvantage to those shooting .45 or .40. No big deal for a beginner though. I started with a 9mm 1911 and enjoyed it well enough.

Rough time to decide to get into USPSA, as it is getting cold outside and many clubs go on hiatus until Spring. If you need any info on clubs, let us know where you are near and we can point you in the right direction.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wurm View Post
    Rough time to decide to get into USPSA, as it is getting cold outside and many clubs go on hiatus until Spring. If you need any info on clubs, let us know where you are near and we can point you in the right direction.
    His profile says Honduras...

Are there any indoor ranges doing USPSA on the west side of the state this winter? I normally avoid shooting indoor but I'd try a indoor USPSA match.

Quote Originally Posted by OraliaLer View Post
    Hi folks,

Im trying to get into USPSA shooting soon. I would like to know what you guys shoot for it and what it is that you recommend. Of course, I would like to use firearms that Im familiar with so Im not going to jump on a new gun just for uSPSA just yet.

Currently, Id probably shoot my SA XD Service 9mm or my SA 1911 in 9mm as well. Thoughts? Thank you
    Depends on where you will be shooting (registration indicates location as) - Honduras the Club is IPSC (the original organization)

International Practical Shooting Confederation
    The International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) is the world's second largest shooting sport association and the largest and oldest within practical shooting.

Firearm availability varies by Country, along with ammunition (9mm is the world standard).
    Shoot what you own is the best way to go, until you decide if you will enjoy the sport.
    It will be Fun no mater what you shoot, and in your travels you will learn what is the best way to compete in your chosen area.

Check out the links below, and check the forums for the Country/State you plan to shoot in.

Linked Below:
    USPSA - USA (50 States)
    IPSC - World

You would be classed in the organization you compete in.

//
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.