Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Question Greeting fellow gun guys!!

Hello, new member jAK47 here, wondering if anyone can tell me about keeping loaded 33rnd 9mm glock mags and my Ruger pc9 take down together in a backpack in my trunk? I can get into the trunk thru the back seat of that matters...If the rifle or pistol caliber carbine is taken down in half in the backpack, can I have my loaded mags in the same pack?? I believe the law says no loaded rifle mags? Any knowledge is much appreciated!

Thanks
    Jak

Greetings from Imlay City "Gateway to the Thumb",

Home of Vlasic Pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by jAK47 View Post
    Hello, new member jAK47 here, wondering if anyone can tell me about keeping loaded 33rnd 9mm glock mags
    Michigan has no laws about mag capacity, nor any laws on having or transporting loaded mags*. There is no law that prohibits having loaded mags in the same case as the firearm, you just can't have them attached to (inserted in) the firearm.

and my Ruger pc9 take down together in a backpack in my trunk?
    The named firearm is a rifle/carbine, and therefore transportation is regulated under MCL 750-227d. This law requires that the firearm is unloaded (i.e. no ammo in the chamber or any magazine that is attached to the firearm. PLUS one other condition: (i) Taken down. (ii) Enclosed in a case. (iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle. (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

I can get into the trunk thru the back seat of that matters...If the rifle or pistol caliber carbine is taken down in half in the backpack, can I have my loaded mags in the same pack??
    Being able to access the trunk from the interior is one of the nebulous points. YOU can't do it from the drivers' seat, but a passenger might be able to. Michigan allows, or actually doesn't have a law* that limits where or how you carry ammo. In a mag or not.

I believe the law says no loaded rifle mags? Any knowledge is much appreciated!
    Simply not true. You can transport loaded mags, even in the same case as the firearm. You just can't have the mag IN the firearm

By the law, if you unload it and "take it down" OR place it in a case, you can carry it in your lap, in the front seat, or on top of the dash if you want. You don't need to take it down OR case it, if you are carrying it in the trunk. If you case it and place it in the trunk, you don't need to worry about if it can be reached from the interior.

*Michigan does have a law that pertains to the consumption of alcohol with a CPL and transporting a pistol in a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk, that requires separating the ammo from pistol (different location).

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Thank you very much Roundballer! I do have a CPL and wondered about that as well. If I decide to have a beer at dinner I have unloaded and placed mag in separate location/compartment. I just wanted to have my PC9 in a pack in the trunk, But I don't want to risk getting harassed over it.

I am a Forum User
    Welcome JAK.